• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And he scores!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tay View Post
    Bad luck guys, my heart is bleeding for you
    Luck had nothing to do with it.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Bad luck guys, my heart is bleeding for you
      Has anyone seen the NZ football team? It seems to have got lost.
      Ah - they're probably hiding out with the ABs somewhere.

Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Has anyone seen the NZ football team? It seems to have got lost.
        Ah - they're probably hiding out with the ABs somewhere.
        No need to lash out at me, I was offering my commiserations.

The NZ football team was supposed to be playing it epic WC qualification game this week against the titans of football (Fiji) ... but it was postponed asone of thier players was brother in law to some guy in the army.. and due toi the recent coup.. we dont allow Fijian military types into NZ. The epic clash will have to wait.
        Last edited by tay; 18 October 2007, 09:29.

Comment

No need to lash out at me, I was offering my commiserations.

Only a bit of banter, old chap ...
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Israel are in Eurovision
            . . . and they won it a while back with a man who was really a woman, or was it a woman who was really a man? I forget.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              . . . and they won it a while back with a man who was really a woman, or was it a woman who was really a man? I forget.
              Better leave that one for Baggy to answer....

Comment

No, Freddy was the right choice at the time, since he was performing so well with bat and ball, and wasn't ever injured.
                We'll agree to disagree then.

There was no objective reason at all to appoint Freddie, and plenty why he shouldn't have got the job.

1. Being a good player does not mean being a good captain.

2. Being a key bowler is disadvantageous as a captain.

3. Being "one of the lads" is disadvantageous as a captain.

4. Freddie was "inspiring" without needing to be captain. Like most captains he had a dip in form after being appointed and we lost that inspiration, in both batting and bowling.

5. Freddie has always been injury prone. He missed most of last summer before leading us on the ill-fated Ashes tour.

6. Freddie had no record of being a captain at senior level.

We learned a lot of this in 1980 when Ian Botham was appointed and I hope we've now learned it all over again.

The best candidate when Vaughan got injured seemed to be Strauss, who eventually got the job for the Pakistan series last year when Freddie was injured. We won that series 3-0, and Strauss's form actually improved.

As it happens I think we would have lost the Ashes anyway, as most of the England setup were still celebrating the 2005 win.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                  We'll agree to disagree then.
                  Sorry - I need a sarcasm smiley.

Fred was an abysmal choice, when the other option of Strauss was much better. Trueman always said that there were jobs that can't be combined - opening batsman, opening bowler, keeper and captain. Any combination of those is a recipe for disaster - having captain, opening bowler, talisman, hero all rolled into one was not the smartest move, but they wanted Flintoff as captain to try and keep Harmy happy. A plan well thought out and executed...

Flintoff's had it now - he won't play until the summer, should lose his central contract, and until he can play as an all-rounder, should not be considered, since typically his batting is not good enough to hold down a place when he can't bowl well.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sorry - I need a sarcasm smiley.

Fred was an abysmal choice, when the other option of Strauss was much better. Trueman always said that there were jobs that can't be combined - opening batsman, opening bowler, keeper and captain. Any combination of those is a recipe for disaster - having captain, opening bowler, talisman, hero all rolled into one was not the smartest move, but they wanted Flintoff as captain to try and keep Harmy happy. A plan well thought out and executed...

Flintoff's had it now - he won't play until the summer, should lose his central contract, and until he can play as an all-rounder, should not be considered, since typically his batting is not good enough to hold down a place when he can't bowl well.
                    Sorry, I was a bit thick there ...

Although I think Flintoff would get in as a bowler-only, if he ever gets fit again.

Comment

Working...
                    X