• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man Jailed in Anti Gay Row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    In the eyes of the religion (and therefore the follower), the practice is illegal, hence he was adhering to his faith.
    No - in the eyes of some religions, it is wrong.

Despite having a state religion, the law takes precedence, therefore he was wrong. Maybe an OTT reaction, but without knowing exactly what was said (either this time or on other occasions), then it's difficult to judge (or it should be).

Not knowing Leigh particularly well (apart from knowing that they are lobby-gobblers, and that's where some ugly schoolgirl who ran off with a US marine some years ago was from), it sounds like this might have been a deliberate campaign against one person. Why else stage a protest outside where he works, and put offensive notices on the board where he works?

Of course, Leigh may be tiny and have nowhere else to go...
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think the proper form of protest is to withdraw ones membership or business.
      Nobody seems to do that these days, they just stand there shouting how it is unfair that they do not wish to put up with whatever it is that offends them.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        It's a bit like saying I can go round doing XYZ because my religion tells me so, even though the Law says it's illegal. If we all did that, we'd be in a complete mess.
        But we already do that by saying that a Muslim woman need not sell alcohol because of her faith...what if the customer had taken offence?

Sounds like we are too fooked up....
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          AFAIK christianity teaches forgiveness, love for your fellowman and acceptance. It does NOT preach ignoring or refusing to be served by sinners

Islam preaches peace and compassion...not murder and slaughter...
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            No - in the eyes of some religions, it is wrong.

Despite having a state religion, the law takes precedence, therefore he was wrong. Maybe an OTT reaction, but without knowing exactly what was said (either this time or on other occasions), then it's difficult to judge (or it should be).

Not knowing Leigh particularly well (apart from knowing that they are lobby-gobblers, and that's where some ugly schoolgirl who ran off with a US marine some years ago was from), it sounds like this might have been a deliberate campaign against one person. Why else stage a protest outside where he works, and put offensive notices on the board where he works?

Of course, Leigh may be tiny and have nowhere else to go...
            I've come across people in Leigh who've never even been to Manchester (few miles down the road!) Disturbing!!

Sounds to me like he's got issues with this guy and everyone should be allowed to work in an environment that is safe. The ol' fella went too far.
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Splitters!!!!
              I set em up, you knock em down...good work !

Still, better to be a splinter splitter group, than a sphincter spitter group.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                The "Carbon Footprints can **** right off!" forum is far more amusing.

But I'm still thinking someone should ask for Elizabeth's contact details here. Come on Zeity - you know you want to!
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                  But we already do that by saying that a Muslim woman need not sell alcohol because of her faith...what if the customer had taken offence?

Sounds like we are too fooked up....
                  Not something I think many people agree with if the reaction to the story is anything to go by (Inc plenty of Muslims). Sainsbury's being a little too PC imo.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    I've come across people in Leigh who've never even been to Manchester (few miles down the road!)
                    Fnarr fnarr!! Too much information!

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

Disturbing!!
                    Indeed!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Fnarr fnarr!! Too much information!

Indeed!!
                      For the love of God!!!
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X