• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man Jailed in Anti Gay Row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like he was trying to shove his views down everyones neck though.... the article said it wasn't the first time he'd caused trouble at the library. Although, you'd think he would have better things to do with his time.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

What we are forgetting is...

Police say he was arrested for a public order offence when two library employees complained that his comments caused them alarm and distress.
      Stand by for a compensation claim...

Also, why didn't the two fairies put him in his place? Verbally speaking...
      Last edited by Churchill; 17 October 2007, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Ah.

But he was a dangerous criminal.

He actually believed in something without exploding.
        But still, imagine you not getting served simply 'cos you're a lizard! Or me simply 'cos I'm Irish....
        Bazza gets caught

Comment

Hmmm...

In the eyes of the law, homosexuality is legal and so are civil partnerships. Discrimination against either is a legal offence.

In the eyes of the religion (and therefore the follower), the practice is illegal, hence he was adhering to his faith.

What takes precedence ?

The Law ?

or

The Tenets of a Religion ?

Personally, I would suggest The Law, since that is tangible and real, whereas Religious Laws are edicts that come from a non-legal source, which has never been proven.

It's a bit like saying I can go round doing XYZ because my religion tells me so, even though the Law says it's illegal. If we all did that, we'd be in a complete mess.

I'm starting a new cult....the cult of The Blessed Booby.

Our religious tenet is that we must stare constantly at women's breasts.

Let's see how far I get with that one, shall we ?

The bloke needs to realise that whilst on this planet, in this particular country, our laws take precendence.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            I'm starting a new cult....the cult of The Blessed Booby.

Our religious tenet is that we must stare constantly at women's breasts.
            That is not a new cult!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

That is not a new cult!
              We're a splinter group..

:-)
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

In the eyes of the religion (and therefore the follower), the practice is illegal, hence he was adhering to his faith.

AFAIK christianity teaches forgiveness, love for your fellowman and acceptance. It does NOT preach ignoring or refusing to be served by sinners
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

The guy is quite clearly asking for trouble and looking to cause a scene, not the other way round. Zero sympathy:

Trouble flared after a member of staff, who is gay and has been through a civil partnership ceremony, offered to help Mr Fairclough with an inquiry.

Mr Fairclough said: "I asked him if anyone else could help me, and he asked why. I pointed towards a ring on his finger and said I didn't approve of two men being married. He then told me I was barred.
                  "I went back the next day and two members of staff told me to leave because I had insulted their colleague. I refused. A caretaker came over and eventually the police came.
                  Previously Mr Fairclough had put comments, deemed homophobic, on the library notice board and staged a protest outside the library against the adoption rights of gay couples.
                  As for comparing to muslim shop assistants - I agree with that as well, in this country you shouldn't have any right to refuse to serve or be served based on someone colour, creed or religion.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    That is not a new cult!
                    It's par for the course areound here
                    Bazza gets caught

Comment

We're a splinter group..

:-)
                      Splitters!!!!
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X