• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is facebook and myspace all about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No we will be going somewhere - probably the lakes. Not staying at home as that would be rubbish
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

seriously though...

what is it about these sites that has made them so damn popular?

though personally i am getting bored of facebook now its obviously a massive success as a piece of software

what are the core points that make facebook/myspace so popular?

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
        Join CUK slackers, I'll send you a link to the Texas Hold'um application, you install it, I get 500 chips free
        Where's the link?

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post

though personally i am getting bored of facebook now its obviously a massive success as a piece of software

Appealing to tech-savvy kids. Only a few of these ever go mass-market.

Friends reunited was a similar phenom, but I think that's got terminal pnuemonia now.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm not a fan of Myspace, but it enables users to have their own 'website' (h optional) without the hassle of registering a domain, setting up hosting etc.
            Facebook?
            1. Simple and easy to use.
            2. The UI is consistent, meaning the information takes priority, and comes to the fore.
            3. Lots of people are already on it, so you're more likely to find people you know.
            4. Unlike Friends Reunited, it's interactive and involving.
            5. It fills the gap in the market: Linkedin is too formal, Bebo too young, Myspace too chaotic, Orkut poorly designed.

Comment

Regarding facebook...When I was working away, I logged in a couple of times a day and my other half and all my mates would have updated their status telling me what they did last night, or how they were feeling right now, or they'd send me little messages, or prezzies, or photos. I never really felt like I was away.

It kind of mixes email, friendsreunited, games, etc all together really. Its really cool, and an excellent way of really keppign in contact with people who you dont see all the time.
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Social networking

Even the CIA have been given their own social networking site a la Facebook (see http://www.politicsonline.com/blog/a...cia_socnet.php).

I wouldn't say though that SA was about having your website hosted for cheap. The content you can post is way too constrained, but it does give a wonderfully easy means of constructing sites that are engaging socially by aggregating your content and experiences with other peoples.

MySpace though is glued together by music, and just about anything is available . Dame Shirley Bassey's my favourite, http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=79959328 esp. since she agreed to be my friend and left a comment on my page .

Facebook has a more mature professional profile drawing a lot of young professionals or students. It seems very popular for freshers at Uni to make contact before they arrive with other freshers.

If you fancy setting up your own site try using Elgg to build your own social networking site. It's neat and easy to install if you have a LAMP patform available.

Nick

Comment

I like the Shakesperian insult generator
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                    Regarding facebook...When I was working away, I logged in a couple of times a day and my other half and all my mates would have updated their status telling me what they did last night, or how they were feeling right now, or they'd send me little messages, or prezzies, or photos. I never really felt like I was away.
                    I have discovered something even better, it's called the mobile telephone, soon everyone will have to have one
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

What a strange world we live in.

Comment

Working...
                      X