• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is facebook and myspace all about?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Boiler room, auto-dailler. It hangs up is there is no sales person to take the call.
    I love wasting these guys time - most enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've got an automated thingie ringing me up at the moment...

I pick the phone up, it waits a while & asks me to hold (in an American accent), then hangs up.

I did get to growl at what may have been a human being the other day, but he rang off.... Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...
    Boiler room, auto-dailler. It hangs up is there is no sales person to take the call.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I have discovered something even better, it's called the mobile telephone, soon everyone will have to have one
    No, I fear telephones these days.
    Since the invention of email/texting, I find anyone who calls out of the blue very rude!! (Much like people just turning up at your door). Its like they're saying "I'm going to speak to you now, whether you like it or not!"

I know its me who has the problem there, and I know I've spent far too much with computers, but that's just the way it is.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    What a strange world we live in.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Regarding facebook...When I was working away, I logged in a couple of times a day and my other half and all my mates would have updated their status telling me what they did last night, or how they were feeling right now, or they'd send me little messages, or prezzies, or photos. I never really felt like I was away.
    I have discovered something even better, it's called the mobile telephone, soon everyone will have to have one

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I like the Shakesperian insult generator

Leave a comment:

• HarryPearce
    replied
    Social networking

Even the CIA have been given their own social networking site a la Facebook (see http://www.politicsonline.com/blog/a...cia_socnet.php).

I wouldn't say though that SA was about having your website hosted for cheap. The content you can post is way too constrained, but it does give a wonderfully easy means of constructing sites that are engaging socially by aggregating your content and experiences with other peoples.

MySpace though is glued together by music, and just about anything is available . Dame Shirley Bassey's my favourite, http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=79959328 esp. since she agreed to be my friend and left a comment on my page .

Facebook has a more mature professional profile drawing a lot of young professionals or students. It seems very popular for freshers at Uni to make contact before they arrive with other freshers.

If you fancy setting up your own site try using Elgg to build your own social networking site. It's neat and easy to install if you have a LAMP patform available.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
    what is it about these sites that has made them so damn popular?

though personally i am getting bored of facebook now its obviously a massive success as a piece of software

what are the core points that make facebook/myspace so popular?
    Regarding facebook...When I was working away, I logged in a couple of times a day and my other half and all my mates would have updated their status telling me what they did last night, or how they were feeling right now, or they'd send me little messages, or prezzies, or photos. I never really felt like I was away.

It kind of mixes email, friendsreunited, games, etc all together really. Its really cool, and an excellent way of really keppign in contact with people who you dont see all the time.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I'm not a fan of Myspace, but it enables users to have their own 'website' (h optional) without the hassle of registering a domain, setting up hosting etc.
    Facebook?
    1. Simple and easy to use.
    2. The UI is consistent, meaning the information takes priority, and comes to the fore.
    3. Lots of people are already on it, so you're more likely to find people you know.
    4. Unlike Friends Reunited, it's interactive and involving.
    5. It fills the gap in the market: Linkedin is too formal, Bebo too young, Myspace too chaotic, Orkut poorly designed.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

though personally i am getting bored of facebook now its obviously a massive success as a piece of software

Appealing to tech-savvy kids. Only a few of these ever go mass-market.

Friends reunited was a similar phenom, but I think that's got terminal pnuemonia now.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Join CUK slackers, I'll send you a link to the Texas Hold'um application, you install it, I get 500 chips free
    Where's the link?

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    seriously though...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    No we will be going somewhere - probably the lakes. Not staying at home as that would be rubbish

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I tell you what would be lovely...you can order caterrers in these days. They come to your home, meal semi prepared, set up your table for you, and provide a the full 5 star treatment for you in your own home!
    (And no dishes!!)
    I think I'd find that a bit weird myself!! I mean yeah it's nice to go out and be served in a nice restaurant etc but having these guys come over and take over the house, serve u in ur own plates on ur own table, would just be awkward. I mean what r they gonna do while ur eating... go watch TV in the lounge?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    "Did you decide where to go on your anniversary Tony?"

Err no! I'd forgot one crucial factor. She is still not allowed out of the country because of her transplant. Good job I hadn't booked anywhere.
    I thought it was a bit quick for travel like Ahhh, at least the thought was there!

I tell you what would be lovely...you can order caterrers in these days. They come to your home, meal semi prepared, set up your table for you, and provide a the full 5 star treatment for you in your own home!
    Along with a massive bunch of flowers, I fail to see how any woman wouldn't be absolutely overwhelmed by that - so thoughtful.
    (And no dishes!!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X