• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear now I have to train and nice cheap eastern european how to do my job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    She's cheaper.

A fact of the market place, especially with EU expansion, is that we're competiing with cheaper resources. The only way to get round this is to be different. What is it that you can offer that few others can - be they from Russia, India, China or Neasden. And if you haven't such a signifier, then get one.

NotAllThere
    Quite. See my thread on added value...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
      Why would you want that skill?
      Because managers frequently ask for handovers, without sufficient time and resources to do it, to handovees with insufficient skill and experience, but saying no, or "I can't do it", just makes you look obstructive.

NotAllThere
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Still no point. May as well be honest. As you are going to get blamed for a crap handover once your gone anyway.

Comment

I dont understand.. if you are leaving anyway. Does it matter? The poor girl has been given a great oppurtunity, if the manager wants to take a punt on her and maybe make a mistake its his fault.
          The poor girl deserves a chance from you. She clearly knows that its a big job for her.. and is trying to learrn as much as she can while you are still there. She is a person to, and is probably having stressful nights about when you have gone and no more handover. Cut the poor girl some slack and try and help her out, just imagine it was someone important to you who had been given this chance, and the person doing the handover was deliberatly sabotaging it just to make a spiteful point (correct or not).

I dont like seeing people cause massive stress to others for no good reason except spite.

I am getting soft
          You might have a point, the simple fact is, she is not suited to the role, her dopey manager has been advised by four other managers that she isn't skilled. No one trained me, my skills have been built up over years of my own work and experience. If it really is such a competitive world then why should I give away my knowledge, and I really cannot teach her what I know, I can't teach her when to ask what question. I was asked to do this role to move a £20M programme into governance, which it had been without for seven months since it started. She simply doesn't have programme or project office skills.

You might want to ask yourself why you are worried about spite, are you spiteful? Or are you one of the people coming here to get paid less and benefit from other's years of training and hard work?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Because managers frequently ask for handovers, without sufficient time and resources to do it, to handovees with insufficient skill and experience, but saying no, or "I can't do it", just makes you look obstructive.

NotAllThere
            After I handed in my notice at my second to last permy job was trying to hand over a technical prototype to someone (mixture of database, some code and configured structures)

They firstly gave me a BA - who didn't have a clue about the technical work (and who I didn't like very much - v smarmy bloke), then a PM (who was from a tech background - but years before, nice bloke though).

They did productionise eventually (got a permy guy with skills kin the area 6 months later, but fresh out of uni) - after about a year, but completely bodged it...

I'm now back there as a contractor picking up the pieces, and trying to re-develop it on the next generation of technology...what goes round, comes round I guess...

Comment

ooohh didums they took my job

Look Luv,

grow up,

at face value do a wonderful full of hot air handover, leave on the greatest of terms

offer to give support for the future

tell them you loved working there and should they have any opportunities in the future you would happy to come back

leave an email address for questions

of course you cannot teach someone years of experience in a week

and I am confident the newby will get stuck, which can be to your benefit IF YOU PLAY YOUR CARDS right

Milan.

p.s. tay, don't worry about it

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                You might have a point, the simple fact is, she is not suited to the role, her dopey manager has been advised by four other managers that she isn't skilled. No one trained me, my skills have been built up over years of my own work and experience. If it really is such a competitive world then why should I give away my knowledge, and I really cannot teach her what I know, I can't teach her when to ask what question. I was asked to do this role to move a £20M programme into governance, which it had been without for seven months since it started. She simply doesn't have programme or project office skills.

You might want to ask yourself why you are worried about spite, are you spiteful? Or are you one of the people coming here to get paid less and benefit from other's years of training and hard work?
                I know exactly how you feel - you can't teach skills in that time and you have to have a bit of 'nouse' about you in the first place to learn.

I was asked before I left previously mentioned permy role, to document how I managed to keep fixing a system that was a bit flaky. Tried to explain you needed to know the code, a bit about Oracle, Unix, the technical area, have experience of diagnosing / analysing problems etc...

All fell on deaf ears, the PM just wanted a manual to refer to...grrrr

And...if skills transfer wasn't orginally asked for, you're not being too bad if you refuse - can be a pain, esp if you don't like the person

Comment

Still no point. May as well be honest. As you are going to get blamed for a crap handover once your gone anyway.
                  They idea is to mitigate the chances of you being blamed. If the manager is under the impression that you've done a good handover, there is a possibility that the handovee will get the blame. Especially if you've already got a good rep.

NotAllThere
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Muttley exackery,

Milan.

Comment

NotAllThere,

I'd give up trying to explain this to tay.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X