• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First day on new gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you've been taking a little too much of the ambar nectar either that or your dijeree doo is not working

since when did I say come down like a ton of bricks on the pm and his senior ?

that is the daftest most antipodian nonsense I have heard in ages

Milan.

Comment

I would also have put together a proposal on how to improve bottom line productivity, increase profit and also advised on changing the corporate logo.

You have to be proactive.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
        I would also have put together a proposal on how to improve bottom line productivity, increase profit and also advised on changing the corporate logo.

You have to be proactive.
        and again an excellent answer, I believe all you would have to add to that is 'fix the broken photocopier/ drinks machine" & "knob any available fillies in the office" and you could consider it a successful first day on the job!
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

What did the 3 pages of A4 say? Surely after you read them you would have had some questions or found some potential issues.

At the very least I would have grabbed the PM and sorted out what what ever was unclear.

Contractors are (or should be) brought in to solve specific problems or produce specific deliverables. They come with a certain level of expertise in their field that the client needs and doesn't have. As far as the PM is concerned he's paid for a day of expertise and got nothing in return.

Comment

I've been on both sides of the pm role - currently being project managed. As a project resource you're there to deliver something and that something needs to be well defined in terms of scope, quality, timescale etc. You haven't got that definition/description so you need to ask for that in an auditable way - from your own email account. It may be that the pm doesn't have a clear idea of what it is they want you to deliver. In this case, provided they can give you some idea of what they want, you may be able to help by drafting a description, including scope (hopefully, the documentation you currently have and further documentation they may be able to give you will assist), which you can then go over with the pm to work towards an agreed final version. It's worth proposing this - it will need some initial input from the pm - for the following reasons:

It shows you're pro-active
            It might get you something useful to do
            If it doesn't work, it gives you more evidence (if you're bothered) that you've tried to get work to do, and not been given any.

In the meantime, think about how much money they're paying you and read whatever you can get your hands on.

Comment

Greg,

could you please provide me a bullet pointed summary of what you are saying.

Thanks,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                A spreedsheet so hideously complex that only you alone can configure / modify / update.
                Spoken like a true contractor, they will love you and hate you at the same time
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Well PM's just assign. What you want from him is a list of names, and a directory with source code.

GET HACKING
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    Greg,

could you please provide me a bullet pointed summary of what you are saying.

Thanks,

Milan.
                    Sorry, sat at work - bit disorganised.

- Ask your pm for a description/definition of your deliverable(s)
                    - If they don't have one, ask for a short meeting where you can get a high-level description of what it is they want you to do
                    - Offer to write a draft scope and description etc. of your deliverable
                    - Go over this with the pm to agree the scope and description of the deliverable
                    - Make sure all of your communications are recorded using your own email account
                    - If the pm doesn't want you to do the above, then you have shown that you are willing to pitch in.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      on my laptops I also have sandbox systems of the ones I am operating for the blue chip multinational clients I work for
                      How do you change tapes on a laptop?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X