• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    SallyAnne, are you tempted to be a (on) call girl?
    On-call girl at £100 / hour

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      SallyAnne, are you tempted to be a (on) call girl?
      Not if the pay was that sh*te!
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

There was a long'ish discussion about this a while back

To quote my original comment back then...

Originally posted by DAVEB

The BOFH in me says time and a half for hours on call and double time for actual call out with a 4 hour minimum
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Go for this,

1.5x daily rate just for being available
          - this compensates you for having to sit in the pub on 1 pint an hour instead of 3.

1.5x hourly rate per call, minimum 4 hours
          - this compensates you for having to do work at the weekend.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Expecting to face this dilemma soon, should be a rare call-out as I am in a senior role and will be advising on escalating major issues to 'call everyone you can get hold of' status.
            Planning to charge a day rate for each 24 hour period (even if it includes a working day). Same issues as SA, I am away in the week so no worries but w/ends are more valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
              Hi all,

I've been offerred a 6 week gig away from home.

The job itself is very interesting, BUT the rate is crap and the location is sh*te.

I've been tempted by the gig regardless though, as like I say, the job itself sounds really cool.

They mentioned in the interview that there'd be strange hours (i.e. outside of the noraml 9-5) which I have no problem with at all...if I'm away, I might aswell be at work than stuck in a hotel.

BUT, the cheeeky f*ckers are trying to get me to be on call during the weekends! And the reward they're willing to give me for this? The hours back during the week IF I get called upon!
              So basically, they want me to be on call, all weekend for free!

I'm tried politely telling them to **** off like, but they keep coming back asking me what I would accept to do this. TBH I doubt I'd even accept the daily rate to sit in the house all day on a Saturday (thats my going to the pub at 12 day!)

Anyone been in a similar situation?
              What would you do?
              surely you are used to this situation SA? clients calling you up evenings and wekeends for services?

Comment

Originally posted by pisces
                Fck that for a game of soilders. Maybe they'd like you to dress as a bunny as well?
                That would be one big f**king rabbit
                Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
                  That would be one big f**king rabbit
                  a rabbit that big would need a mighty hole!
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Accept the gig. Put your phone on silent on the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
                      Hi all,

I've been offerred a 6 week gig away from home.

The job itself is very interesting, BUT the rate is crap and the location is sh*te.

I've been tempted by the gig regardless though, as like I say, the job itself sounds really cool.

They mentioned in the interview that there'd be strange hours (i.e. outside of the noraml 9-5) which I have no problem with at all...if I'm away, I might aswell be at work than stuck in a hotel.

BUT, the cheeeky f*ckers are trying to get me to be on call during the weekends! And the reward they're willing to give me for this? The hours back during the week IF I get called upon!
                      So basically, they want me to be on call, all weekend for free!

I'm tried politely telling them to **** off like, but they keep coming back asking me what I would accept to do this. TBH I doubt I'd even accept the daily rate to sit in the house all day on a Saturday (thats my going to the pub at 12 day!)

Anyone been in a similar situation?
                      What would you do?
                      Do exactly what they ask: work out what you would willingly accept to do it, and tell them what that is. It might be an awful lot if you really don't want to do it; doesn't matter, tell them the real price. Do not on any account feel "obliged" to quote a "reasonable" rate for it.

Another poster made a good starting suggestion: a price for each time you are on call, plus a rate for call-outs, with a minimum chargeable time.
                      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                      X