• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desktop Support - going rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Support - going rate

Please tell me this isn't the going rate for what they need! I assume not, and that it's only got to my inbox out of desperation, but if so I feel sorry for support people! If you took a shoeshine kit with you on your rounds, you could triple your wage!

Start: 2nd July
    Rate: £15-£20 p/h
    Duration: 3 months + extensions

A Major client of ours requires a Support Analyst to start a new 3 month contract immediately. Support Analyst, Support, IT Job, Banking, Financial, Contract, London.

The role is based in Central London with working on the trading floor of a large investment bank.

Suitable candidates will have seom experience working within the investment banking arena, and have the following skills: Hardware repair, PC build, Windows OS, Microsoft office, Anti-virus, Microsoft exchange (including outlook), Network configuration and familiar with market data applications (Bloomberg, Reuters)

I've heard of lower rates (£10 - £12) so this is pretty good considering.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
      Please tell me this isn't the going rate for what they need! I assume not, and that it's only got to my inbox out of desperation, but if so I feel sorry for support people! If you took a shoeshine kit with you on your rounds, you could triple your wage!

Start: 2nd July
      Rate: £15-£20 p/h
      Duration: 3 months + extensions

A Major client of ours requires a Support Analyst to start a new 3 month contract immediately. Support Analyst, Support, IT Job, Banking, Financial, Contract, London.

The role is based in Central London with working on the trading floor of a large investment bank.

Suitable candidates will have seom experience working within the investment banking arena, and have the following skills: Hardware repair, PC build, Windows OS, Microsoft office, Anti-virus, Microsoft exchange (including outlook), Network configuration and familiar with market data applications (Bloomberg, Reuters)

No sane IT Dept would let a desktop support person near Exchange Server - the risks are too high.

On the actual topic, they just want someone chained to a desk with a set of headphones providing basic support. £15-£20/h for that isn't bad for someone who probably thinks IT is the ability to work an XBox or a Playstation.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
        I've heard of lower rates (£10 - £12) so this is pretty good considering.
        tulip the bed! I know drivers who'd turn that down as a bad wage.

Comment

They want £9/hour in the north, the problem is the market is flooded and someone will take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            tulip the bed! I know drivers who'd turn that down as a bad wage.
            But of course, everything in life is relative. That would be considered a good career upgrade for somebody working in a call centre.

Comment

true, maybe I've just forgotten my roots. My first couple of contracts (generalist Excel macros and Access!) were on those kinds of rates and I was blooming grateful at the time.

Comment

Are we talking 1st line/helpdesk or 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd line?

"desktop support" is wooly

Without a Must Consult Someone Else £20-25/h is decent for "desktop support"

Depends who you're supporting as well, traders and investment bankers pay well. I've seen some "desktop" roles offering £30 but when you tread the actual jobspec it's more 3rd line.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
                  Must Consult Someone Else

No, your thinking of Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Expert

Comment

oh lordy, I don't know.

Well, call Roberto Monfardini at Monarch Recruitment in Birmingham if you want to know more. God speed you!

tl

Comment

Working...
                    X