• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Desktop Support - going rate"

Collapse

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard1974uk
    So you're contradicting yourself
    how so?

and you're the cheapest spaz?
    Not the cheapest

Leave a comment:

• wizard1974uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Epiphone
    Here up North that's a good rate. Clients/agencies tend to take the pee a bit with specs though. It's not unusual to see an ad for minimum MCSE 2003 with equivilant Cisco knowledge for £10-12 per hour.

A good Desktop Support monkey (such as myself ) doesn't just fix a printer or whatever, they serve as pretty much the only point of contact with IT that can actually function socially. The Helpless desk tends to be monosyllabic numbskulls who don't record the calls details and the 3rd line/server bods can't speak in anything less that 100% geek-speak - or are of the opinion actually speaking to users is beneath them.

Unfortunately clients will take the cheapest spaz who then screws things up, annoys the userbase and puts the clients off either taking on contractors in the future or risk paying more for a quality guy (me again ).
    So you're contradicting yourself and you're the cheapest spaz?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    But does anybody use Reuters and Bloomberg up North? They'd probably think they were a music-hall tap-dancing duo.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    You'd get half that rate oop north.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Here up North that's a good rate. Clients/agencies tend to take the pee a bit with specs though. It's not unusual to see an ad for minimum MCSE 2003 with equivilant Cisco knowledge for £10-12 per hour.

A good Desktop Support monkey (such as myself ) doesn't just fix a printer or whatever, they serve as pretty much the only point of contact with IT that can actually function socially. The Helpless desk tends to be monosyllabic numbskulls who don't record the calls details and the 3rd line/server bods can't speak in anything less that 100% geek-speak - or are of the opinion actually speaking to users is beneath them.

Unfortunately clients will take the cheapest spaz who then screws things up, annoys the userbase and puts the clients off either taking on contractors in the future or risk paying more for a quality guy (me again ).

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    Dah, da da da dda da daa...
    07:58

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Dah, da da da dda da daa...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    How's that damn dam going?

Is it still holding water?
    Touch and go. They're not home and dry yet.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by mictech
    They want £9/hour in the north, the problem is the market is flooded and someone will take it.
    It's not just the market that's flooded up north...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    oh lordy, I don't know.

Well, call Roberto Monfardini at Monarch Recruitment in Birmingham if you want to know more. God speed you!

tl

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    Must Consult Someone Else

No, your thinking of Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Expert

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Are we talking 1st line/helpdesk or 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd line?

"desktop support" is wooly

Without a Must Consult Someone Else £20-25/h is decent for "desktop support"

Depends who you're supporting as well, traders and investment bankers pay well. I've seen some "desktop" roles offering £30 but when you tread the actual jobspec it's more 3rd line.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    true, maybe I've just forgotten my roots. My first couple of contracts (generalist Excel macros and Access!) were on those kinds of rates and I was blooming grateful at the time.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    tulip the bed! I know drivers who'd turn that down as a bad wage.
    But of course, everything in life is relative. That would be considered a good career upgrade for somebody working in a call centre.

Leave a comment:

• mictech
    replied
    They want £9/hour in the north, the problem is the market is flooded and someone will take it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X