• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money - advice!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch what I do SA and do the opposite. I am the chap who converted my pension fund into cash when the FT was at 5830 in case of a crash and it went up to about 6700.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      Watch what I do SA and do the opposite. I am the chap who converted my pension fund into cash when the FT was at 5830 in case of a crash and it went up to about 6700.
      Yeah, my financial advice needs to be taken with caution - I am the person that took all the cash out of his defined benefit pension and moved it into a defined contribution pension at the top of the market in 2000.

I broke the champagne out last month because it had finally got back up to what it was worth seven years ago.
      Last edited by Gonzo; 12 June 2007, 20:50. Reason: Spelling again. Still noone seemed to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
        Latin American dot com startups.

That's the future - send me some cash and I'll invest it for you!
        Dunno, http://www.trustnet.com has a list of top 10 fund risers. 4 out of 10 are Latin America (and 1 is BRIC - Brazil Russia India & China).

All had a dip about 4-5 years ago. but all have risen hugely since then (like, all of the top 10 are up >50% in 1 year).
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Money Advice

1. ALWAYS pay off credit cards every month. If you can't afford too then you are living beyond your financial ability. Cut back.

2. Pay off mortgage. Use a Bank account linked to your mortgage.
          Mine is at 4.99% until 2008 and linked to my main bank account.
          I pay off £1K per month using a month wage of 1K. Then add lump sums via dividends four times a year.

Once complete...

3. ISA's. Use the full £7k allowance.

4. Save up for another property and either buy now or wait for the crash. You decide.

5. While all above is going on, have company pension from company bank account.

6. Don't spend money on tat. Do you realy need a bigger TV?

7. Have a small flutter on Premium Bonds (only after point 3 is fully used)

8. Retire.

Jobs a good un

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd
            1. ALWAYS pay off credit cards every month. If you can't afford too then you are living beyond your financial ability. Cut back.

I pay off £1K per month using a month wage of 1K. Then add lump sums via dividends four times a year.

Once complete...

4. Save up for another property and either buy now or wait for the crash. You decide.

8. Retire.

Jobs a good un
            There is no place on this forum for sensible advice.

I suggest that you move to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd

Once complete...

8. Retire.

Jobs a good un
              Superb.

If you can't do it all at once, the more you can do, the closer your retirement gets.

Just 1 modification: I'd say, especially if you're getting old like me, fill the ISA quota every year even if it means putting off repaying debt for a short time. And never take out of the ISA. Once you have missed a year's ISA, that's free govt money that you can never get back.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                can you draw out of your pension fund before the age of 56 ?

Comment

Working...
                X