• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disillusioned? Maybe just tired of it all...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disillusioned? Maybe just tired of it all...?

I've been contracting for 6 years or so now, pretty much without a break other than the odd week here and there, and I've been lucky enough to not actually have a single interview - the client has approached me on every occasion, via ex-colleagues etc.

I'm now in a role that although it is sometimes enjoyable, and certainly is challenging, the client is in such a mess it makes everything a battle.

It's in a different field to my proven technical expertise, but is theoretically an excellent "career" move, assuming I see it through and the project is a success.

If I see out this contract then I stand every chance of being mortgage free at the end of it, early next year, at the ripe old age of 32.

BUT, for the last few months I have found it harder and harder to motivate myself - despite my current rate being a good 25 - 50% more than I might easily get elsewhere.

I don't know if it's because I'm doing a less technical role, or just not enjoying the set-up at the client, or if I just need a holiday. Or if I need to find a Plan B pronto.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, so how do others motivate themselves to carry on when they are not really enjoying it and there is no immediate financial benefit?

Or should I just jack in the current gig, take a break and go find something else.

Damn, I feel like that after only 2.5 years!

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same feelings a couple of years ago (after twenty years in the business!). Given your age I would stick it out until the mortgage and all other debts (i.e. credit card etc) are paid off. After that there is very little to stop you doing what ever you want.

Travel is the obvious suggestion. However, just this afternoon I was talking to someone who not only wants to travel but dive the best places in the world. In preparation he has spent ages getting the PADI qualifications etc.

Honestly, unless you are fully committed to a career (then why are you a contractor?) then I’d be off diving in the Caribbean as soon as I’ve paid off the mortgage and let the house.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I'm like this 24/7. Reason I became a contractor is so when I get ****ed of with a place after 6 months I can leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          I'm like this 24/7. Reason I became a contractor is so when I get ****ed of with a place after 6 months I can leave.
          What's so special about the 24th of august? Is that your birthday?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That'll be July then !
            It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

contracting for 6 years with hardly any breaks? maybe that's the problem. Try taking 3 months out to do something completely different. If you're anything like me, after a couple of months your disillusionment will have disappeared, and you'll be itching to get back in the game.

Comment

Yeah, you really need to schedule in a longish break (a couple of months) every few years - just make sure you plan to use the time constructively. My next one is end 2010.

On a related note, how is everyone planning for the next downturn in IT?

Comment

As mentioned by others I think you need a decent break or two, I've had a couple of 6 months plus, and aim at 2 or 3 months a year minimum if the contract situation allows. Other things I've done when I can't hack it any longer are overseas work and a different skillset to get out of the comfort ( boredom ! ) zone.

Comment

Personally for me the beauty of being a contractor is looking forward to taking a few months off every couple of years - it's very easy to get trapped into the attitude of chasing the money and viewing any time off as money lost.

I've done a ski season and had a couple of big extended (2 month +) trips in the last 6 years - just the sort of thing you need to re-charge your batteries.
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X