• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Disillusioned? Maybe just tired of it all...?"

Collapse

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    Welcome to the mortage free club ! It now gets a hell of a lot harder to drag yourself out of bed in a morning and survive those tedious afternoons. It's now Plan B's and retirement targets but I have found the best way is have some pre school kids, enough to keep anybody in the office.
    sounds like a good thread so here we go:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/showt...168#post238168

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    [QUOTE=TheRightStuff]
    Originally posted by TazMaN

no but the wife isn't working and my daughter is 8 months old and just a joy to be with. Over the next few months she will start to crawl, walk and talk. Good change I will miss the 1st time she does any of these as I'll be here. Is it better to take a few months off when the contract ends and be involved with this. Will I regret this later on in life.
    take the time off, you know it makes sense

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt
    Remember folks, during the divorce, she'll get half, so don't kill yourselves on earning a fortune.

HTH
    we have a romantic in the house.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Remember folks, during the divorce, she'll get half, so don't kill yourselves on earning a fortune.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    [QUOTE=TazMaN]
    Originally posted by TheRightStuff
    I've had enough as well. Just turned 33 a couple of months ago and the mortgage on my 400K houses is no more as of last month. QUOTE]

Well done on the mortgage. Similar position to me and same age too. Got some savings and other investments (Premium bonds actually brought in 800 last month, biggest ever for me!), and couldn't care less if this contract ended.

Only reason I am staying here is that the rate is 25% higher than I'd get at other clients, hence I'm going to make it last until I reaalllllly can't stand the pain any longer. After all, I'd rather work now for more money than have to work longer for less money in the future.

Only problem with the "dream" is that you might want to go off drinking and playing golf, but none of your buddies will be free to join you!
    no but the wife isn't working and my daughter is 8 months old and just a joy to be with. Over the next few months she will start to crawl, walk and talk. Good change I will miss the 1st time she does any of these as I'll be here. Is it better to take a few months off when the contract ends and be involved with this. Will I regret this later on in life.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Welcome to the mortage free club ! It now gets a hell of a lot harder to drag yourself out of bed in a morning and survive those tedious afternoons. It's now Plan B's and retirement targets but I have found the best way is have some pre school kids, enough to keep anybody in the office.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    [QUOTE=TheRightStuff]I've had enough as well. Just turned 33 a couple of months ago and the mortgage on my 400K houses is no more as of last month. QUOTE]

Well done on the mortgage. Similar position to me and same age too. Got some savings and other investments (Premium bonds actually brought in 800 last month, biggest ever for me!), and couldn't care less if this contract ended.

Only reason I am staying here is that the rate is 25% higher than I'd get at other clients, hence I'm going to make it last until I reaalllllly can't stand the pain any longer. After all, I'd rather work now for more money than have to work longer for less money in the future.

Only problem with the "dream" is that you might want to go off drinking and playing golf, but none of your buddies will be free to join you!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRightStuff
    I've had enough as well. Just turned 33 a couple of months ago and the mortgage on my 400K houses is no more as of last month. Best thing I ever did was become a contractor and get a First Direct offset mortgage. Can't wait to get the mortgage interest statement showing interest of £0. Last month it was 17p. Also have enough dosh in the bank to keep me going for a few years.
    Looks like this contract may come to an end next month. Client might be bringing in a rule that contractors can only work for the company for 1 yr. They also want to change notice periods from 1 week to 1 month and they also only want us to take 30 days holidays.
    I fancy a break as well. Sort out my Prince 2 qualification and spend some time with the family. I've also got a few sports injuries that are taking ages to sort out. Need for time to excersise and relax.
    Yeah fook working.

Only the Chinese and Indians work.

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    I've had enough as well. Just turned 33 a couple of months ago and the mortgage on my 400K houses is no more as of last month. Best thing I ever did was become a contractor and get a First Direct offset mortgage. Can't wait to get the mortgage interest statement showing interest of £0. Last month it was 17p. Also have enough dosh in the bank to keep me going for a few years.
    Looks like this contract may come to an end next month. Client might be bringing in a rule that contractors can only work for the company for 1 yr. They also want to change notice periods from 1 week to 1 month and they also only want us to take 30 days holidays.
    I fancy a break as well. Sort out my Prince 2 qualification and spend some time with the family. I've also got a few sports injuries that are taking ages to sort out. Need more time to excersise and relax.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The few months off is top advice, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you, totally devoid of motivation and sick of living out of a bag.

Roll on this contracts end, when I intend to play golf, drink, fook and sleep

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt
    Keep all you old invoices and bank statements and revel in the glory of it all.

Makes great reading.

Kerrrrrrrching and all that.

Or call your bank every morning to check the balance
    that will make you happy the whole day

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    When feeling down at work

Keep all you old invoices and bank statements and revel in the glory of it all.

Makes great reading.

Kerrrrrrrching and all that.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    On a related note, how is everyone planning for the next downturn in IT?
    By not taking enough time off now

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Personally for me the beauty of being a contractor is looking forward to taking a few months off every couple of years - it's very easy to get trapped into the attitude of chasing the money and viewing any time off as money lost.

I've done a ski season and had a couple of big extended (2 month +) trips in the last 6 years - just the sort of thing you need to re-charge your batteries.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    As mentioned by others I think you need a decent break or two, I've had a couple of 6 months plus, and aim at 2 or 3 months a year minimum if the contract situation allows. Other things I've done when I can't hack it any longer are overseas work and a different skillset to get out of the comfort ( boredom ! ) zone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X