• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Helicopter pilot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahem

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6706253.stm

Another one for Janes weekly... tune in same time next week.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

East Midlands Helicopters ...... about 10k plus vat if I remember correctly for PPL course.

Its on the A60 just outside Notts on the Loughborough road.

There is a good lesson by lesson diary entry on their site of a guy who did the whole course and passed.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
        Vito,
        Your other post today was asking how long you'd be able to stay in bed before you wet yourself. Are you sure you're ready to take the controls of a complicated flying machine?
        Vito, never fear, let me introduce you to the Little John Portable Urinal:

Transair

Or if you're a big girlie, then the Lady J Portable Urinal Adaptor:

Transair
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

If you can fly an R22 with all its twitchiness you can fly anything. It's still the safest Helicopter available considering flight times and number sold.

Its big brother the R44 is lovely. Even better now it's got fuel injection and you don't have to keep pulling carb heat all the bloody time!
          true enough, but I can't say that having a death grip on the collective everytime the engine note changes is my idea of fun, not flown a 22, but had a go in a bell 206 once and that was very nice. I'm one exam off my fixed wing CPL.

Vito,
          another option is to go the fixed wing route PPL, and then do a conversion to rotary, not sure about the cost, but MET, LAW, NAV , R/T are all the same exams, just performance and aerody are different.

You could go to the USA and do a "sausage" factory PPL for about 5K , get the licence and then come back and convert.

I'm off the week after next to play with an amphibious beaver, something which I am teaching my toddlers to say with relish .....

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
            Vito,
            Your other post today was asking how long you'd be able to stay in bed before you wet yourself. Are you sure you're ready to take the controls of a complicated flying machine?
            Yep...it shows I'm crazy enough!
            Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless
              true enough, but I can't say that having a death grip on the collective everytime the engine note changes is my idea of fun, not flown a 22, but had a go in a bell 206 once and that was very nice. I'm one exam off my fixed wing CPL.

Vito,
              another option is to go the fixed wing route PPL, and then do a conversion to rotary, not sure about the cost, but MET, LAW, NAV , R/T are all the same exams, just performance and aerody are different.

You could go to the USA and do a "sausage" factory PPL for about 5K , get the licence and then come back and convert.

I'm off the week after next to play with an amphibious beaver, something which I am teaching my toddlers to say with relish .....

Thanks...but as mad as this sounds, I'm terrified of planes!!! Helicopters I undertand the whole concept and how they work...planes I just can't get my head round...the more I look at them, the more I am convinced it is not possible for them to fly and then do a controlled landing!
              Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless
                Vito,

Conversion is a waste of money. You only save on the exams so what's the fecking point?

As for learning to fly in the states, nope, nope, and thrice nope. By all means do some hour building but FFS, learn to fly in the environment in which you're most likely to fly when you've got your ticket.

Comment

pay no attention to that animal, South Africa is a lovely place to learn...
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                    pay no attention to that animal, South Africa is a lovely place to learn...
                    Yes it is. Unfortunately the flying environment is nothing like the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X