• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Helicopter pilot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    If the helicopters engine fails what happens? Whith a plane you could possibly glide it down.............
    They auto-rotate. Linky

EDIT: Too slow...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

My brother's a helicopter pilot - I'll ask him for you if you're serious about learning. Where in the country are you based?

Comment

Not personally, but a mate did his PPLH at Wycombe.

Comment

There is a helicopter flying school not more than a mile from here if you are looking for UK, specifically east midlands.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
            My brother's a helicopter pilot - I'll ask him for you if you're serious about learning. Where in the country are you based?

Thanks RH...very serious about it...its all part of my mid-life crisis...I'm in Wiltshire
            Property advisor for the people

Comment

When I decided to learn to fly I spoke to a couple of flying schools (Blackpool & Barton) as they were both relatively local to where I lived/worked.

One of the important questions that you should ask yourself is "Where am I most likely to fly?"

If you're more likely to fly in the UK then learn in the UK. Get used to weather patterns and procedures that are prevalent to your flying environment.

Yes it's cheaper in the 'states and australia however they have completely different weather patterns to us.

My suggestion if you're in the UK would be to buy a copy of "Pilot", look in the back and you'll find flying schools that may be local to you. Ring them up, book a trial and have a serious conversation about finances(cost me £13.5k), time required(7 months with 3 to 4 flights a week) and why you really want to learn(I'd split up from my wife and was spending too much time in the pub).

It's expensive in time and money but also very enjoyable.

Comment

Also - the licence is different - over in the states it's the FAA, here it's the CAA i think, and you have to take a conversion course either way to get a new licence.

Comment

I'll remember that one

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    There are far too many "Jesus" bolts* in helicopters...

(*for the uninitiated, a "Jesus" bolt is a bolt that makes you say "Jesus" when it breaks... shortly before the uncontrolled flight into terrain part of the exercise).
                    They do say that there's a "Jesus Bolt" on an aeroplane and that a helicopter is constructed from "Jesus Bolts".

Comment

Yep, I'll speak to him tonight about this and PM you, and I'll tell him about the jesus bolts if he doesn't already know.

His first reply to "helicopters... etc... any recommendations" was "Yep, keep the turny thing pointing up".

Comment

Working...
                      X