• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South Africa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by christhecontractor
    yes nomadic cultures worked fine because when they moved, the entire community moved together. Community and culture breaks down due in part too much movement of individuals into and out of the community (till there are no more common roots). I think that's what has happened pretty much everywhere and it's a fairly recent thing (last 100 years mostly).
    Nope - you will only have a 'culture' associated with settled -i.e. non-nomadic- tribes; nomad traditions (culture) will be severely limited by daily work to the point of non existence
    Your community point actually proves the need for settled communities - what are the benefits from a nomad travelling with other nomads if not for security?

Nomads live an existence where the daily task is to find sufficient food to feed the people and livestock to keep alive.
    There is not point in having artists, creators, thinkers within a nomadic society as you are too busy trying to take care of the daily necessities to dream or explore.

It is only when the daily toil of finding food is replaced by a predictable(ish) settled existence that people have spare time to start to explore their creative sides, pass on learned knowledge (other than by a oral tradition) to the next generation, and begin to enquire about the world they live in.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
      Nomadic cultures worked just fine, they just didn't stand a chance against greedy people.
      I don't know what is meant here by "greedy people".

Do you mean settlers, who build dwellings for shelter, cultivate crops, farm livestock ... and then have the audacity to defend their investment?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        The original useage of kaffir was to describe the majority of the natives of S.A.

HTH
        This is so incorrect. The word has origins way before South Africa was even discovered
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          Nomads live an existence where the daily task is to find sufficient food to feed the people and livestock to keep alive.
          There is not point in having artists, creators, thinkers within a nomadic society as you are too busy trying to take care of the daily necessities to dream or explore.
          I think your idea of a nomadic lifestyle is a little obtuse. I lived a nomadic lifestyle for a little over 10 years. As a contractor I am little more than a nomad. Providing much needed skills and expertise to communities. I have lived in many countries and communities spanning South Africa, Australia, Ireland, UK, France and Italy. I have had plenty of time to study other cultures and understand them. Sadly the outcome of most of these studies is that we are all just human with all the same general characteristics. I still don't think anyone of us has an explicit right to any form of ownership of the planet.
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
            I think your idea of a nomadic lifestyle is a little obtuse. I lived a nomadic lifestyle for a little over 10 years. As a contractor I am little more than a nomad. Providing much needed skills and expertise to communities. I have lived in many countries and communities spanning South Africa, Australia, Ireland, UK, France and Italy. I have had plenty of time to study other cultures and understand them. Sadly the outcome of most of these studies is that we are all just human with all the same general characteristics. I still don't think anyone of us has an explicit right to any form of ownership of the planet.
            No, you are a migrant, the simple reason being you can buy your food/shelter/security with the fruits(sic) of your labour.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
            X