• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Housing Shortage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill
    That's in Wales though, innit?
    I meant a human to human transferred flu epidemic of avain flu origin.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
      How can owning a buy to let possibly add to a housing shortage? Does a buy to let house magicaly disappear when a BTLer buys it?

Nope! It reamains in the housing stock, someone rents it and then lives in it. That someone is not living on the street in exactly the same way that they would have done if they bought their own house.

The idea that BTL adds to the housing shortage is complete and utter b0llocks. (I agree that it adds to house price increases)

tim
      If we all weren't so hard up to buy our own houses there would be no house price increases. We now judge each other based on whether we are home owners or renters - well at least from my wife's view anyway. I've never owned, and that makes me a pauper in her eyes. Until you look at the bank accounts...I'm in six figures and she's in double digits with an asset that has been on the market for six months with not even a wiff of an offer.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
        If we all weren't so hard up to buy our own houses there would be no house price increases. We now judge each other based on whether we are home owners or renters - well at least from my wife's view anyway. I've never owned, and that makes me a pauper in her eyes. Until you look at the bank accounts...I'm in six figures and she's in double digits with an asset that has been on the market for six months with not even a wiff of an offer.
        Can we get back on-topic? We're meant to be discussing immigration and international disease epidemiology here.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
          Can we get back on-topic? We're meant to be discussing immigration and international disease epidemiology here.
          Disease comes and goes, always has done and always will. Even if we don't have immigrants bringing it into the country we will have students on gap years going out of the country getting it and bringing it back. I'm not going to get up tight about disease.

As for the AIDS thing, if you take sensible precautions and don't sleep around with half the world without using protection you are extremely unlikly to get it anyway no matter how large a percentage of the population is infected.

Comment

I have a spare room, need a big pole and big hands!

Comment

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?...mentid=5025887

More downright lies from Alan Johnson
              Speaking on BBC1's Question Time, he said: "The problem with that is that's the kind of language of the BNP, and it's grist to the mill of the BNP, particularly as there is no evidence that there's any problem in social housing caused by immigration, none whatsoever."

Anyone who knows anything about the areas of east London mentioned will be laughing at how he can peddle this crap. The influx of Africans in particular over the last 5 years has exceeded any other area in the UK in terms of numbers. They know they can leapfrog the queue in social housing by having lots of children, they are even more fertile than British chav poor welfare dependents.

Why does Alan Johnson think the BNP is getting votes in the area? Does he think people are just stupid and feel like voting for neo-Nazis? Does he think they imagine the thousands of African families that have moved into their streets and taken over their schools?
              I have no problem with people exposing the BNP, but Johnson's claims and denial are shocking, you have to wonder whether he has ever even visited these areas or even passed through Barking on a train, let alone seen schools that now have English as a second language.
              I didn't see Question Time so have no idea whether anyone challenged his views? It is Johnson that should be the minister getting slammed for his lies and propaganda, he is as bad as Ken Livingstone for peddling this garbage.
              Last edited by GreenerGrass; 25 May 2007, 07:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Damp Cave
                I have a spare room, need a big pole and big hands!
                Nearly choked on my morning coffee - good to see someone raising the bar a bit!

Comment

Working...
                X