• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Day

Not defined in hrs on the contract - which is good.
    How many hrs would you say a professional working day is.
    7 or 8 hrs?

Think it's meant to be 7.5 but I tend to treat it as 8.

Comment

Originally posted by timh
      Think it's meant to be 7.5 but I tend to treat it as 8.
      so lets say you start at 9 have an hrs lunch and they leave at 6. Do you include lunch in the 8hrs? I would assume the latter.

Comment

Depends on the lunch, I suppose!
        Personally I don't treat a lunch as billable if I'm not at my desk working. Unless it turns into a bloody meeting.

Comment

Depends if you're paid per day or per hour. If per day, as little as you can get away with. If you're paid per hour, as much as you can get away with.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've always perceived it as 'enough time in order to get the job done' within reason obviously...

(Don't need any sarcastic comments - just basically saying apply common sense and don't take the P...)

Comment

I think if you get in at 9 and have an hrs lunch (non business) and leave at 5.30 - 6 that would be a reasonable prof. day. Agreed?

Comment

Agreed...

Basic rules of hours to work;

1. Always try to stay later than the boss...they don't care if you are in before them, they are just bitter if you leave before them.

2. Get to know the cleaners/security chaps name. On the rare occassion your boss does work late the rapport you have with the 'night' staff show you must always be working late.

Comment

Good advice, scon ead. I don't follow it though. I like to start and leave early, and I just put in the correct hours.

I do a bit more sometimes, to help meet deadlines and stuff, but I never feel the need to impress permies and managers with long days. I've got a life.

Comment

8 hrs including lunch... but here's me still in the office after doing 11 and a half.

Comment

Working...
                    X