• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... but i am doing 5 days in 4.
    so all is good.

Comment

that's what professional day stops - people working 5 days in 4.
      a proffesional day means you actually turn up. well I got screwed on it anyway.
      Last edited by woo; 16 May 2008, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23
        8 hrs including lunch... but here's me still in the office after doing 11 and a half.
        Me too!

But I've been working at home today and I've been out and about.

Comment

Oh come one. A PWD is anything between 0 and 24 hours. If you do real work for the client in any 24 hour period, you charge them a day. If you do nothing, you don't. If you do five minutes on their behalf in a day, you are entirely at liberty not to charge them. If you do 23 hours 59 minutes you still charge them a day. It's not hard.

If you're going to get picky about what a day really is, go for an hourly rate. PWD is just an accounting convenience, not a measure of hours worked.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            If you're going to get picky about what a day really is, go for an hourly rate. PWD is just an accounting convenience, not a measure of hours worked.
            It means the boss has a certain (or not quite certain) amount of work to be done, and a specific budget for it, which translates to a number of days at a daily rate.

It doesn't really translate to "when can I go home?", or "do I get paid for my lunch hour?".
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
              Oh come one. A PWD is anything between 0 and 24 hours. If you do real work for the client in any 24 hour period, you charge them a day. If you do nothing, you don't. If you do five minutes on their behalf in a day, you are entirely at liberty not to charge them. If you do 23 hours 59 minutes you still charge them a day. It's not hard.

Come on malvolio! How does a project plan for resources who might work for an hour or for 23 hours?

If you estimate that a task will take five days, you need to have some idea of how long each day is, otherwise your schedules will go to c*ck.

And as for going for an hourly rate - that's fine if you have the choice.

Comment

This thread is such a load of b*ll*cks.

Are you lot a bunch of permies or something?

You take a contract, you have deliverables, you meet them.

Who gives a toss if you stay late, have a long lunch or a fecking rapour with the cleaning staff?!

Hours are things for the permies to worry about, deliverables are what contractors should worry about.

Day 2 not smoking...
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by scon_ead
                  Agreed...

Basic rules of hours to work;

1. Always try to stay later than the boss...they don't care if you are in before them, they are just bitter if you leave before them.

2. Get to know the cleaners/security chaps name. On the rare occassion your boss does work late the rapport you have with the 'night' staff show you must always be working late.

#2 - never thought of that - nice!

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

Who gives a toss if you stay late, have a long lunch or a fecking rapour with the cleaning staff?!

Hours are things for the permies to worry about, deliverables are what contractors should worry about.

Day 2 not smoking...
                    rapport
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

Day 2 not smoking...

Agree with SA and Mal...

As a Permie who wants a promotion you need to play the game and impress the boss...thats just the way of life...

If you are not a Permie however you do what is required...no more...no less. My standard working day at the moment is 8 - 4 with a 2hr commute either side...and yes, I go at 4 on the dot every day because my evenings are important to me and so far I have managed to organise my workload in such a way that things have stayed pretty consistent...if I ever needed to work 20hrs in a day to get something done then I would (and no, I never charge overtime) in the same way that if there is nothing to do I would go home.

I do what Mal does...if i work an hour on any given day then that is considered one day...if I work 20hrs on any given day then that is considered one day...if you get your quotes right and manage your work properly like all professionals should then you should be charging a fair amount for a fair days work...if you work your ass off then you get rewarded with some time off, if you slack a bit then you get punished with some extra hours...

Sometimes I do wonder how I manage to control my hours when I use 1,000 words when only a few are needed...what I meant to say on this post was:

I agree with SA and Mal
                      Property advisor for the people

Comment

Working...
                      X