• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland's Independence (make it happen)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland's Independence (make it happen)

Interesting that Gordo (spit) is now wading into the SNP

Challenging Salmon about their "within 100 days of taking power they would ask for all the North Sea Revenue" pledge

Gordo queried that if that came to pass, would the SNP opt for the £11 billion oil receipts, or all of the £30 billion that the Barnet Formula provides annually, but stated that it couldn't be both.

Personally I think an annual saving of £19 Billion is a price worth paying to be shot of the lot of them.

What are the panels view?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

ROFL linq
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      Personally I think an annual saving of £19 Billion is a price worth paying to be shot of the lot of them.

What are the panels view?
      That an annual cost of £19 Billion is pretty cheap, as prices for freedom come.

Let us run our own country and pay our own way. And be friends with our neighbours if they will be, but be neither beholden to them nor taxed by them.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        That an annual cost of £19 Billion is pretty cheap, as prices for freedom come.

Let us run our own country and pay our own way. And be friends with our neighbours if they will be, but be neither beholden to them nor taxed by them.
        "Freedom" suggests you are currently enslaved - I thought the Act of Union was entered into freely by both parties

Comment

"Freedom" suggests you are currently enslaved - I thought the Act of Union was entered into freely by both parties
          Not really, the Scots were all starving to death and would have signed anything. The English always have been way too nice.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Not really, the Scots were all starving to death and would have signed anything. The English always have been way too nice.
            I take it we (the English) were somehow responsible for their plight – same as the Irish Potato famine- has Blair apologised for this yet?

Comment

I take it we (the English) were somehow responsible for their plight – same as the Irish Potato famine- has Blair apologised for this yet?
              No, it was entirely of their own making. They gave most of their money to the French, Irish, Spanish, and then what little they had left was bizarrely dumped somewhere in a swamp in the middle of the Americas. The French, Irish and Spanish were noticeable by their absence in helping the Scots out of the ensuing disaster.

Comment

Apologies, I for one do not mean to say that. I mean freedom to run our country our way, not "freedom from...".

Nevertheless, I think it would be a justifiable tone to adopt, in response to "shot of them".

Comment

Yes, actually, they were, unlike the Irish potato famine. Or rather, they employed any required methods to compel union; not perhaps because they wanted to take over Scotland but just because they wanted protection from pestering neighbours while they got on with the real empire-building.

Scotland was forced into it; on the other hand, I can't help noticing that the removal of power from Edinburgh was followed by a creative and inventive renaissance in Scotland. England did nothing for Scotland, but getting the government off the people's backs and far away, did nothing but good.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    Yes, actually, they were, unlike the Irish potato famine. Or rather, they employed any required methods to compel union; not perhaps because they wanted to take over Scotland but just because they wanted protection from pestering neighbours while they got on with the real empire-building.

Scotland was forced into it; on the other hand, I can't help noticing that the removal of power from Edinburgh was followed by a creative and inventive renaissance in Scotland. England did nothing for Scotland, but getting the government off the people's backs and far away, did nothing but good.
                    Cobblers, have you read the Treaty of Union? 25 points, 15 of which are "can we have food", and the other 10 say "please".

Comment

Working...
                    X