• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Migrants - should I give a toss?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    That is the difficult question, but when Phlip Green takes the (untaxed) bonuses he takes whilst his front line staff are on minmum wage and he is forcing global competition on his suppliers then there is something wrong.

I do not claim to have an answer, but I can see there is something wrong.

Whilst nobody is making the link between corporate profit margins and this kind of exploitation nothing will be done.

[edit] I don't mind being taken to task, but lets cut out the little digs eh?
    Until people like you make these definitions then we are forever at the mercy of the weasel words do nothing brigade.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Never mind that. Have you seen some of the rates on jobswerve?

That's exploifeckingtation!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
        If it's so bad for them then they should go home.
        Did you read the original article?

They are not paid enough to afford a ticket home. They often end up owing the company they work for and then end up having to work to pay off the debt.
        Often passports are held as colatoral.
        The Chinese chaps who died in Morecambe Bay were tied in with Chinese gangs who had threatened their families.

All this for the sake of making 1p extra profit per <pick an item>.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          It will not be long before the economies of these countries overtake our own and people like you begin to follow the golden path to their borders.
          I hear those words. I have been contracting abroad for many years. I am an economic migrant. I am in the fortunate position that my skills lead me to a business that is safe.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

That is the difficult question, but when Phlip Green takes the (untaxed) bonuses he takes whilst his front line staff are on minmum wage and he is forcing global competition on his suppliers then there is something wrong.

I do not claim to have an answer, but I can see there is something wrong.

Whilst nobody is making the link between corporate profit margins and this kind of exploitation nothing will be done.

[edit] I don't mind being taken to task, but lets cut out the little digs eh?

Philip Green earns his money he doesnt take it. Taxes are taken. People like Philip Green create wealth. If front line staff are on minimum wages then why dont they retrain, start their own business (like Green, Branson and Sugar did)or change job. The beauty of our system is that we are free to do what we like (at the moment).

Unfortunately people with your attitude see people like phillip green as a threat and want to destroy or at best control them, and they are driven only by envy. Cutting people like Green down to size destroys wealth creation. The problems that business and wealth creation face are that there are not enough people like Green.

And before you start your leftie whine about exploitation (minimum wage), outsourcing to India pause and think how you personally benefit (cheap clothes, cheap food, multiple consumer choice) from it all.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Did you read the original article?

They are not paid enough to afford a ticket home. They often end up owing the company they work for and then end up having to work to pay off the debt.
              Often passports are held as colatoral.
              The Chinese chaps who died in Morecambe Bay were tied in with Chinese gangs who had threatened their families.

All this for the sake of making 1p extra profit per <pick an item>.
              LG we are beginning to agree on certain things.

Comment

No I didn't read it and I see your point. It reminds me of the Chinese migrant workers that came over here and were totally exploited and ended up drowning while picking cockles. Sad story. Actually I'm going to remove my previous post cos I feel like a right kunt now!

Comment

Employment Protection Minister Jim Fitzpatrick said he took the findings "most seriously".Any firm found to have breached minimum standards of "dignity and respect" would be "taken to task", he said.
                  I never knew the govt had minimum standards of dignity and respect...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                    No I didn't read it and I see your point. It reminds me of the Chinese migrant workers that came over here and were totally exploited and ended up drowning while picking cockles. Sad story. Actually I'm going to remove my previous post cos I feel like a right kunt now!
                    You wont make a politician with an attitude like that!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                      You wont make a politician with an attitude like that!
                      I'm too soft. I was 'kept on the breast' too long.

Comment

Working...
                      X