• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's best way to finance a Used Car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by css_jay99
    For all the years I used my BMW, the only time is went for repairs was when i had ball joint problem. I did the parks/oil/filter/ break pad/disc changes myself. It has 180k miles on the clock and the engine is still in top condition. Now that says something about Full servise history as beign a Ripoff ! . you pay for check's not fixes.
    bcos i have used a BMW for that long, naturally i am biased towards a BMW as a next purchase.

Besides as an ageing single man, i need something to pull the ladies. German engineering is still the way for me.

Choices are definately limited to:

Coupe --> BMW 3 series or Merc CLK
    4X4 --> X5 or Merc M Class
    Max spend £12K-15k
    year 2000 - 2002

I think the 3series will be cheapest of all
    Cargiant in NW London prices tend to be high + high milers as well.
    only interested in FSH and low milers.
    You had to be there to witness the shock horror reaction of my local garage when I mentioned buying an old BMW ! They know I'm a bangernomics man and I think its the cost of parts that means you can't run a BMW on peanuts. A BMW exhaust is 5 years motoring outlay for me ! 180K is impressive though, my last Vectra was starting to rattle a bit when it passed 100K, I sold it to a neighbour to try and reach the 150K mark, he seemed pretty confident.

Comment

anybody else got a jag - quite like the look of them...
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Jags are nice to drive but think about what its saying about you...

I hated my BMW...was always embarrassed when asked what I drove...just sounds a bit w@nk no matter how you say it...

On my 3rd Merc and loving it...German engineering with a style that the ladies love (shallow maybe, but what the hell)...

My best car however remains the old Cavelier SRi which lasted 215k miles and I still managed to sell it for £100!! The secret was in the oil and filter change ever 3k miles....

If however you are after comfort and luxury for banger money...you can't beat a Vauxhall Omega...
        Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
          You had to be there to witness the shock horror reaction of my local garage when I mentioned buying an old BMW ! They know I'm a bangernomics man and I think its the cost of parts that means you can't run a BMW on peanuts. A BMW exhaust is 5 years motoring outlay for me ! 180K is impressive though, my last Vectra was starting to rattle a bit when it passed 100K, I sold it to a neighbour to try and reach the 150K mark, he seemed pretty confident.
          Still using its original exhaust from new !
          I never buy parts from BMW. Its www.eurocarparts.co.uk all the way for me

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
            Jags are nice to drive but think about what its saying about you...

I hated my BMW...was always embarrassed when asked what I drove...just sounds a bit w@nk no matter how you say it...

On my 3rd Merc and loving it...German engineering with a style that the ladies love (shallow maybe, but what the hell)...

My best car however remains the old Cavelier SRi which lasted 215k miles and I still managed to sell it for £100!! The secret was in the oil and filter change ever 3k miles....

If however you are after comfort and luxury for banger money...you can't beat a Vauxhall Omega...
            You need to pronounce it Beemer then wink, when people ask you. You will look and sound successful.

Comment

BMW's were only cool when 'Baader-Meinhof' drove them in the 60's & 70's they used to call them 'Baader Meinhof Wagen'. Among younger Germans BMW became hip and cool, concurrent with the rising prominence of the Baader-Meinhof Gang BMW turned the corner financially and went on to become one of the world's most prominent, respected, and financially successful auto makers.

Since then its 'Break My Windows' ...hardly the same is it

Interesting read on BMW's history
              Last edited by gingerjedi; 26 April 2007, 15:56.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

or Black Man's Willy
                I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                  or Black Man's Willy
                  I did have that in my post but edited it out in fear of being branded a racist by some of the more sensative types on here.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                    You need to pronounce it Beemer then wink, when people ask you. You will look and sound successful.

Ha ha...exactly my point!
                    Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
                      Still using its original exhaust from new !
                      I never buy parts from BMW. Its www.eurocarparts.co.uk all the way for me

css_jay99

I suppose I could have tried that when the motor in my dad's 740i blew up. The garage wanted $13,000 just for the motor! My dad sold the remains of the car to the garage for $3,500, after paying $90,000 for in new '94.

In '94, $90,000 where my dad lives could have easily bought a nice house with change left over.

BMW denies that there was a serious flaw with the engine in his ex-car. He even had an extended warranty - apparently it didn't cover his specific problem.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X