• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Schooling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Schooling

Does anybody have experience of home schooling? Seriously looking into it currently as my daughter has a lot of problems at school and is 14 now so next two years very important. I have considered private schooling but I am not convinced it will be any different, kids can be horrible whether rich or poor. Just wondering if anybody can recommend home schooling and which providers to go with.

I'm sure you have but just in case, have you considered changing schools? we moved schools when ours was 5yo as the teachers in the old one were dickish and didn't give two tulips about with some kids do to others (biting, hitting etc.), also they were super tulipe when it came to setting up boundries, time outs etc. The current school is super small and the teachers are wonderful and suddenly our child really likes going there, when previously it was a nightmare in the morning. Sometimes a change of scenery really does wonders.

Are the problems mostly with other pupils or teachers as well? wellbeing related or teaching related or both?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      I'm sure you have but just in case, have you considered changing schools? we moved schools when ours was 5yo as the teachers in the old one were dickish and didn't give two tulips about with some kids do to others (biting, hitting etc.), also they were super tulipe when it came to setting up boundries, time outs etc. The current school is super small and the teachers are wonderful and suddenly our child really likes going there, when previously it was a nightmare in the morning. Sometimes a change of scenery really does wonders.

Are the problems mostly with other pupils or teachers as well? wellbeing related or teaching related or both?
      She is in her third secondary school already. The last time though was cos she had to come to live with me as her mother threw her out. She has disabilities so does have a lot of name-calling and stuff. Which is why I am now thinking home schooling might be the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

She is in her third secondary school already. The last time though was cos she had to come to live with me as her mother threw her out. She has disabilities so does have a lot of name-calling and stuff. Which is why I am now thinking home schooling might be the best solution.
        Does she have a send classification?

https://www.isc.co.uk/schools/sub-pages/send/

One of the arguments against the VAT grab on private schools is how many SEND places they supply. Apparently government schools don't manage it as 40 kids per class isn't ideal.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Done it. Be aware that it's very difficult and expensive to get a school to enter them for exams as an independent candidate. Also, it requires a lot of effort on your part. We started early (5/7 years old) and it took some time to get over issues that school had introduced.

Comment

Working...
          X