• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Striving for peace!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't see there ever being lasting peace in this neck of the woods.

Achieving net-zero looks more attainable than solving this conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post
      Can't see there ever being lasting peace in this neck of the woods.

Achieving net-zero looks more attainable than solving this conflict.
      Israel has shown again & again they want peace. Technically they could have kept Gaza & the West bank rather than give it to Egyptian migrants.

Palestine needs to be de-radicalised but it won't happen while Hamas remain and the world fails to recognise the terrorism.

Peace has been agreed between Israel & Egypt who was until recently attacking Israel.

Much of the middle East are following.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Camp-David-Accords

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Accords

If Iran & Lebanon are stopped then they will no longer be funding Hamas etc. That is what we need to concentrate on.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Palestine needs to be de-radicalised...
        After the shear scale of casualties in Gaza, there will be little prospect of that. Hatred of Israelis will be at an all time high.

Palestinians should blame Hamas, right? Well, good luck to anyone trying to persuade them of that.

With or without Hamas, many Palestinians will want retribution and I doubt there'll be any shortage of willing terrorists.

Comment

After the shear scale of casualties in Gaza, there will be little prospect of that. Hatred of Israelis will be at an all time high.

Palestinians should blame Hamas, right? Well, good luck to anyone trying to persuade them of that.

With or without Hamas, many Palestinians will want retribution and I doubt there'll be any shortage of willing terrorists.

How many non combatants have truly been killed by Israel? They talk about 60,000 dead this is from the terrorists, half of the actual number will be dead terrorists and we know Hamas kill local people just to up the numbers, their leaders have said as much publicly and repeatedly.

Without Hamas and UNWRA there will be no mercenary sponsorship or stranglehold on the population there may even be free elections.

Until sleepy joe ran from Afghanistan we were doing quite well convincing the locals the west wasn't too bad.

Comment

How many non combatants have truly been killed by Israel? They talk about 60,000 dead this is from the terrorists, half of the actual number will be dead terrorists and we know Hamas kill local people just to up the numbers, their leaders have said as much publicly and repeatedly.
            Even if it was only 20,000 dead civilians, that's the size of a medium sized UK town. And that's just deaths, and not counting the injured and maimed.

I doubt you'd find many in Gaza (or West Bank or Lebanon for that matter) who are feeling even the tiniest bit reconciliatory towards Israelis.

It could be fvcked for another generation.

Comment

PS. I bet there's hardly anyone in Gaza who hasn't lost someone in their family, a loved one, neighbour or friend.

The bitter resentment towards the Israelis will run deep, and will take a very long time to dissipate.

Comment

PS. I bet there's hardly anyone in Gaza who hasn't lost someone in their family, a loved one, neighbour or friend.

The bitter resentment towards the Israelis will run deep, and will take a very long time to dissipate.
                According to Al Jazeera 41,081 have died in Gaza. Hamas have a habit of inflating the figures and experts believe half of those killed were combatants. How many were killed directly or indirectly by Hamas is unknown. Most were in areas Israel advised to vacate before the IDF started action.

With a population of 2 million and 20,500 civilians dead then you might know one non combatant who was killed out of 100 people you know. As they were in a war zone that should of been evacuated the majority of civilians did.

The bitter resentment ran deep before Oct 7th and was created by Hamas and other terrorist organisations.

Comment

Well, I guess only time will tell if Gazans resist the urge to retaliate. But I'm not betting on it. It's all a bit bloodthirsty and "eye for an eye" in this region.

You may believe that Israel are the innocent party in this long running conflict but I don't see it as nearly so black and white. Things like building settlements on occupied lands are not only illegal but highly provocative. Maybe the Palestinians are mostly to blame for the violence but IMO the Israelis don't have clean hands either.
                  Last edited by woody1; 29 August 2024, 10:31.

Comment

Well, I guess only time will tell if Gazans resist the urge to retaliate. But I'm not betting on it. It's all a bit bloodthirsty and "eye for an eye" in this region.

You may believe that Israel are the innocent party in this long running conflict but I don't see it as nearly so black and white. Things like building settlements on occupied lands are not only illegal but highly provocative. Maybe the Palestinians are mostly to blame for the violence but IMO the Israelis don't have clean hands either.
                    Sadly this is pretty typical in such circumstances as you say nobody's hands are clean. Though as a country I would prefer to live next to Israel than almost every other country in the region.

Comment

Though as a country I would prefer to live next to Israel than almost every other country in the region.
                      +1

If I had neighbours like Israel's, I'd move.
                      Last edited by woody1; 29 August 2024, 14:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X