• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I post this thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I post this thread

Let's see.

So basically I can post threads outside office hours.

Two things happened today - Just stop oil peaceful protesters where given 5 year prison sentences. However our jails are full so the max they will spend is 40%

Crowd struck -
    https://www.theregister.com/2024/07/...ess/?td=rt-9cp
    Last edited by SueEllen; 19 July 2024, 20:20.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So basically I can post threads outside office hours.
    Yes I was able to do this on Wednesday evening.

Comment

I didn't know the forum had opening hours

Comment

Only one of them got five years. The others got four.

But after they've served 2 years/19 months, they'll be released on license. Meaning if they do anything wrong again, they'll be banged up while they await a new trial.

Their method of protesting was not within the bounds set by law. The fact that it was without violence is immaterial. Peaceful fraudsters can get 5 years as well.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          We can't boot into safe mode because our BitLocker keys are stored inside of a service that we can't login to because our AD is down.
          Not the best disaster plan.

Reminds me of when the password for the server where my keepass vault is was stored in keepass... Not a smart move really. Fortunately, I'd backed up the vault recently to other media.

Comment

Was at our local supermarket, stocking up on steak and beer. The people before me paid with credit cards and it took a while to clear. They queried with the poor lass at checkout if this was due to the IT problems worldwide.

She looked very bewildered.

Comment

Doesn't seem to have affected me in any way at mo. Will see.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Was at our local supermarket, stocking up on steak and beer. The people before me paid with credit cards and it took a while to clear. They queried with the poor lass at checkout if this was due to the IT problems worldwide.

She looked very bewildered.
                I didn't realise there was a problem until 7.45am after I had popped in to a local supermarket and turned on the radio.

Someone is having fun updating their wiki page.

Comment

Here is a revised version with some improvements:

Blocking motorways is not an effective or peaceful form of protesting. It infringes on the fundamental right of others to move freely, hinders the passage of emergency vehicles, including those delivering vital supplies to hospitals, such as blood and medical treatments for critically ill patients. Moreover, it creates unnecessary pollution and congestion, ultimately defeating the intended purpose of the protest. A more constructive approach to activism would prioritize respecting the rights of others while still conveying a message.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Here is a revised version with some improvements:

Blocking motorways is not an effective or peaceful form of protesting. It infringes on the fundamental right of others to move freely, hinders the passage of emergency vehicles, including those delivering vital supplies to hospitals, such as blood and medical treatments for critically ill patients. Moreover, it creates unnecessary pollution and congestion, ultimately defeating the intended purpose of the protest. A more constructive approach to activism would prioritize respecting the rights of others while still conveying a message.
                    The problem with giving them long prison sentences rather than years of say litter picking, is that it makes them martyrs or political prisoners.

It also opens more politically active well-educated middle class people's eyes up to how tulip the prison system is and who tends to end up there. So if they decide to step away from climate activism they will become annoying prison reformers instead.

(Just thought litter picking is very green.)

Comment

Working...
                    X