• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just Stop Oil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Stop Oil

Been busy in the last two days.

Upsetting pagans

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-oil-activists

Annoying extremely wealthy people but not Taylor Swift

https://news.sky.com/story/private-a...sters-13155864

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

How long before they bring down an aircraft. If you are aware of FOD you would know what I mean.

Apparently they are now demanding we stop all oil and gas use by 2030.

They are doing their best to make us all hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

Yep especially Pagans who would be part of their initial support group.
      ​​
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
        How long before they bring down an aircraft. If you are aware of FOD you would know what I mean.

Apparently they are now demanding we stop all oil and gas use by 2030.

I assume that's stopping it in the UK?

It would have been possible to stop all oil and gas use for electricity generation if we'd started earlier.

What do we want?
        More nukes!
        When do we want them? Thirty years ago!

But my guess is these morons would be against nukes as well.

Stopping all oil and gas use for transportation by 2030 might have been possible if the rail infrastructure hadn't been decimated, then privatised.

Stopping all oil and gas use for industry (outside power generation and transport) is not possible.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There was a really interesting video featuring Richard Hammond on Instagram the other day. No idea how recent it is but he makes a very good point.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C74BU...g1YTl1NDV4Mg==

I'd like to see the wider context of what I presume is an interview but haven't looked for it yet.

Comment

There's a press release on their website with more details:
            It’s time for megalithic action!- Just Stop Oil decorate Stonehenge – Just Stop Oil

Today’s action has come days after the Labour party’s manifesto has recommitted them to stopping all future licences for new oil and gas, should they form the next government.

A Just Stop Oil spokesperson said:

“The UK’s government in waiting has committed to enacting Just Stop Oil’s original demand of ‘no new oil and gas’. However, we all know this is not enough. Continuing to burn coal, oil and gas will result in the death of millions. We have to come together to defend humanity or we risk everything. That’s why Just Stop Oil is demanding that our next government sign up to a legally binding treaty to phase out fossil fuels by 2030."
            Personally, I'm enough of a left-wing hippie to be sympathetic to their goals. However, messing up Stonehenge feels like a stupid way to go about it, and their bargaining approach seems to be "If you meet our demands then we'll make new demands".

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
              their bargaining approach seems to be "If you meet our demands then we'll make new demands".
              Sounds like HMRC.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                There was a really interesting video featuring Richard Hammond on Instagram the other day. No idea how recent it is but he makes a very good point.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C74BU...g1YTl1NDV4Mg==

I'd like to see the wider context of what I presume is an interview but haven't looked for it yet.
                There's a longer video here (3 mins):
                Richard Hammond on Electric Vehicles, Synthetic Fuels, and Net Zero (youtube.com)
                The description links to the full interview (49 mins), but I don't know whether the rest of it mentions synthetic fuels.

I haven't heard about these before. Looking at Wikipedia, these often come from fossil fuels (e.g. coal), so it wouldn't help in terms of net zero. More importantly, I don't think there's much infrastructure in place for them yet, so you won't have the option of using synthetic fuel in your car for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

There's a longer video here (3 mins):
                  Richard Hammond on Electric Vehicles, Synthetic Fuels, and Net Zero (youtube.com)
                  The description links to the full interview (49 mins), but I don't know whether the rest of it mentions synthetic fuels.

I haven't heard about these before. Looking at Wikipedia, these often come from fossil fuels (e.g. coal), so it wouldn't help in terms of net zero. More importantly, I don't think there's much infrastructure in place for them yet, so you won't have the option of using synthetic fuel in your car for a while.
                  Harry Metcalfe has made a video about sustainable fuels that you may find informative...
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                  X