• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change!

My dad was a toolmaker...

And he made a complete tool.

Sorry this was supposed to be about the Labour party manifesto.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    My dad was a toolmaker...

And he made a complete tool.

Sorry this was supposed to be about the Labour party manifesto.
    Is Diane Abbott late with her homework again?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Labour Party Manifesto 2024: Our plan to change Britain
      Jun 13, 2024

https://labour.org.uk/updates/storie...-2024-sign-up/

[Picture of Starmer or is it Max Headroom?]

Labour’s manifesto for change is a plan to kickstart economic growth by reforming Britain’s economy and bring about a decade of renewal.

This manifesto is an ambitious programme driven by belief in our country and its potential for the future. It is the change the country needs.

Our plan for Britain is a fully costed, fully funded, credible plan to turn the country around after 14 years of the Conservatives. It contains a tax lock for working people – a pledge not to raise rates of income tax, national insurance or VAT.

It is proof of a changed Labour Party with Keir Starmer that will change Britain – if people vote for change in the general election on Thursday 4 July.

Labour’s plan to kickstart growth will:
      • Restore economic stability with tough new spending rules, allow businesses to plan, with a cap on corporation tax at 25%, and a new industrial strategy to give business long-term certainty for investment decisions.
      • Unleash investment with a new National Wealth Fund to invest in the industries for the future, and Great British Energy to accelerate the transition to Clean Power. Our plan will create 650,000 jobs in the industries of the future.
      • Reform our planning rules to build the railways, roads, labs and 1.5 million homes we need and develop a new 10-year infrastructure strategy.
      • Reform decision-making to shift power away from Westminster to turbo-charge the efforts of mayors across the country, with new powers over transport, skills, housing and planning, and employment support, along with new growth plans for towns across the country.
      • Reform our jobs market by getting people back into work with careers and job centre reform, a New Deal for Working people to make work pay, a new childcare offer to get people into work, and a plan to tackle our health and mental health challenges to get people back to work.
      • Reform the immigration and skills system to ensure Britain is developing home-grown skills with workforce plans to meet the needs of industries and the economy.
      • Introduce a modern industrial strategy, working in partnership with businesses and workers to grasp the opportunities of new technologies, with an AI sector plan, a new national data library to support cutting-edge research, 10-year budgets for key world innovation institutions, and planning reform to build the datacentres and infrastructure we need.

Labour’s manifesto is built around five national missions to end sticking plaster politics, end the chaos, turn the page and meet the long-term challenges the country faces.

Labour’s first steps for change show how we will begin to achieve those missions, with plans to deliver economic stability, cut NHS waiting times, launch a new Border Security Command, set up Great British Energy, crackdown on antisocial behaviour and recruit 6,500 new teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Is Diane Abbott late with her homework again?
        The manifesto wasn't out until 11.30am today.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The manifesto wasn't out until 11.30am today.
          Was Diane Abbott late with her homework again?

On a more serious note, looking at the manifestoes it would appear that none of the parties wish to win.
          Last edited by Zigenare; 14 June 2024, 11:23.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Labour has suspended parliamentary candidate Kevin Craig.

Betting is spreading....

Comment

He bet against himself winning in his constituency.

The previous Tory MP had around a 24K majority.

Comment

I'm totally confused what Labour is doing about immigration. I hear the border force but that's going to be absolutely useless. Nothing about what to do about the ones that slip through, the existing situation and anything at all to deter. It looks more like they've opened to doors than addressed it. Am I missing something?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm totally confused what Labour is doing about immigration. I hear the border force but that's going to be absolutely useless. Nothing about what to do about the ones that slip through, the existing situation and anything at all to deter. It looks more like they've opened to doors than addressed it. Am I missing something?
                  It's not getting much publicity, because it's not headline-grabbing.
                  They want to process people, rather than paying to keep them in hotels/boats/etc. Once processed, if they are accepted, they can then join the workforce. I don't think that's opening the floodgates.
                  They want to ban employers from sponsoring migrant workers if the employers break employment laws (e.g. paying their staff below minimum wage). They are talking about training up UK workers where there are skills gaps being filled by sponsored migrants, and possibly bringing back a resident labour market test - i.e. you can't bring someone in from abroad if there's someone already here who can do the job.

Are there specific areas of migration that they need to focus on, such as ignore 95% of migrants to single out those who come by boat, because they are an easy target?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's all nice and dandy saying what you plan to do, but this is just waffle, it's like taking a list of what doesn't work and making a new list by putting "fix" in front of each bullet point from the original list. Where the hell is the money coming from considering the budget deficit is huge and the debt costs are sky high?

Take for example the migrant problem, aren't they currently on boats / hotels to be processed? the main issue with migrants is that most have no documents, how the hell do you process people with no documents? also, what about those who are not processed cause they have no skills? Resident labour market test I'm all for, but the question is, why isn't it in place already? the problem with employers bringing in migrant workers is mostly paying them below market rate which is the effect of the government own bloody visa program as they make up market rates there and say you can pay 80% of those.

Comment

Working...
                    X