• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lets go fly a kite with the H*ttent*ts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets go fly a kite with the H*ttent*ts

A spoonful of racism makes the certificate go up

https://news.sky.com/story/mary-popp...guage-13081571

Mary Poppins has had its UK age rating lifted from U to PG almost 60 years after its release because of "discriminatory language".

The British Board Of Film Classification (BBFC) said the decision over the 1964 classic, starring Dame Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, had been made over the use of the colonial term, Hottentots.

The derogatory word was historically used by white Europeans to refer to the Khoikhoi people in South Africa.
    Luckily though they realised they over stepped the mark with a film that involves making soap out of people and beating their mates up.
    I predict A Clockwork Orange being a U soon!

Brad Pitt's Fight Club was downgraded from an 18 rating to 15 despite its portrayal of "sequences of graphic and brutal violence".
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Do you seriously think that anyone under 40 would know what a Hottentot was?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Had no idea it was offensive. Every day's a school day

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Had no idea it was offensive. Every day's a school day
        I never noticed, its language of its time, they could dub over it with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Do you seriously think that anyone under 40 would know what a Hottentot was?
          I knew it was Dutch and describes Africans but I am over 40. I did look it up to be sure and its a bit better than words in rap songs.

Next Dr Who gets an 18 cert!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Next Dr Who gets an 18 cert!
            Will the story lines get better?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I was thinking more the William Hartnell ones, the Russell T Davis ones are too on message. So no!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yes the Tardis will go back to the mid 1970s and get eternally stuck there, and so all the females will turn into Benny Hill dolly girls.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Yes the Tardis will go back to the mid 1970s and get eternally stuck there, and so all the females will turn into Benny Hill dolly girls.
                  Dolly Birds - Shirley!

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

Dolly Birds - Shirley!
                    I was trying to be woke!
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X