• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Return to the office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Nothing the company can really do. If a husband wants access to his wife's work PC, he will get it while she is sleeping, and get the 2FA from the phone. How many men dont know their wifes phone pin? Maybe you dont know your wifes work login password but that can discovered with a bit determination as well
    So the result of that is that anyone whatever you do who deals with confidential information needs to work in an office.

​​​​Or hope that your spouse/partner, relatives, friends and neighbours aren't crooks.

I mentioned neighbours as some of us in cities can overhear neighbours work conversations.

Oh and for some people recieving calls only in an office is unrealistic. I've had to give people hard stares on trains and train platforms as I don't want to hear their f***ing confidential work/client conversation.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So the result of that is that anyone whatever you do who deals with confidential information needs to work in an office.

​​​​Or hope that your spouse/partner, relatives, friends and neighbours aren't crooks.

I mentioned neighbours as some of us in cities can overhear neighbours work conversations.

Oh and for some people receIving calls only in an office is unrealistic. I've had to give people hard stares on trains and train platforms as I don't want to hear their f***ing confidential work/client conversation.
      I am alright the Butler is trustworthy!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
        Nothing the company can really do. If a husband wants access to his wife's work PC, he will get it while she is sleeping, and get the 2FA from the phone. How many men dont know their wifes phone pin? Maybe you dont know your wifes work login password but that can discovered with a bit determination as well
        Most laptops are available with fingerprint readers.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I think the point is - if there is a will there is a way.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I think the point is - if there is a will there is a way.
            yep, but where there is a risk there is normally a way of nullifying it, try hiring a security professional.

Comment

yep, but where there is a risk there is normally a way of nullifying it, try hiring a security professional.
              Social engineering is the best way to be a crook.

Comment

Those can be useful, but this scenario is probably the worst case for them.

Suppose I wanted to get your fingerprint: that would be very difficult, because (as far as I know) we've never met.

However, suppose that you have a husband trying to break into his wife's laptop, when she spends several hours each day unconscious in the same room with him (i.e. asleep). It's far more plausible that he could put her finger on the reader without waking her up. Obviously that will depend on the person (i.e. how soundly they sleep), and it would be a massive breach of trust, but I think it's realistic.

I think that illustrates a wider point about security: it's all about "what problem are you trying to solve?" rather than a "one size fits all" approach. Start with a risk assessment, then go from there.

Comment

Working...
                X