• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worklessness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worklessness

I keep seeing this term which seems to be used by the Torygraph a lot. It feels like it's essentially being used to describe lazy feckless oiks who aren't working.

When did worklessness become common parlance?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/workless

though it was in the 80s I first remember it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I keep seeing this term which seems to be used by the Torygraph a lot. It feels like it's essentially being used to describe lazy feckless oiks who aren't working.

When did worklessness become common parlance?
      Such are the joys of having a generous system of benefits and the lack of a modern equivalent of the Protestant Work Ethic.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

It is a BS term as most aren't "lazy feckless oiks".

The people who fall into that category are generally:
        - students who are mostly aged between 16 and 22. Depending what the surveys are looking at they count.
        - older people who aren't claiming the state pension but can scrap enough to live on or in some cases due to unfortunate turn of events have sufficient funds to live on. Some of them are actually looking for work but suffer from age discrimination.
        - a parent of a child/children under 5 where childcare costs more than or equal to their wage. The other parent supports them. (I used to be treated by a highly educated one.)
        - adult carers of relatives including children of any age with disabilities. It's actually cheaper for a relative to care for them than for the state to do it. (Of the people I know who fall in this category some are supported by the other parent and others work part-time.)
        ​​​​

It should be remembered that most of those working age on benefits like universal credit are actually working but part-time.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ah, back in the day when you could go to university and come out with a degree, but now you come out with a massive debt
          Ah, back in the day when you could buy a house for 3x the average wage in the area you were working
          Ah, back in the day when a low income worker was paid enough to be able to have a roof over their head and food on the table
          Ah, back in the day when we ate seasonally and locally
          Ah, back in the day when our parents and grandparents brought us up.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/workless

though it was in the 80s I first remember it.
            Well there's a thing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It is a BS term as most aren't "lazy feckless oiks".

The people who fall into that category are generally:
              - students who are mostly aged between 16 and 22. Depending what the surveys are looking at they count.
              - older people who aren't claiming the state pension but can scrap enough to live on or in some cases due to unfortunate turn of events have sufficient funds to live on. Some of them are actually looking for work but suffer from age discrimination.
              - a parent of a child/children under 5 where childcare costs more than or equal to their wage. The other parent supports them. (I used to be treated by a highly educated one.)
              - adult carers of relatives including children of any age with disabilities. It's actually cheaper for a relative to care for them than for the state to do it. (Of the people I know who fall in this category some are supported by the other parent and others work part-time.)
              ​​​​

It should be remembered that most of those working age on benefits like universal credit are actually working but part-time.
              Many are working cash in hand. Others are being paid awful wages and being topped up by the state. As tax take falls then less and less can be paid for.

Comment

There needs to be a word for those of a wealthy background, have a privileged education but still end up as thick as tulip and then given executive jobs and appointed a PM.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  There needs to be a word for those of a wealthy background, have a privileged education but still end up as thick as tulip and then given executive jobs and appointed a PM.
                  There is - successful!
                  If you think you could do better then stand for parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    its called a Boris!
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X