• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone lived in Gibraltar?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone lived in Gibraltar?

I'm wondering what it would be like to retire there.

Cost of housing is one of the biggest negatives (£250k+ for a 1-bed flat) but I'm guessing other costs are similar, if not less than here, with very low taxes and duty free.

At least there would be none of the post-Brexit jumping-through-hoops like there is moving to Spain.

Would healthcare be free for a UK national living there? The medical facilities certainly look a lot more attractive than NHS here.

I have done some contracting there, very expensive, London like prices for housing, most people decide to live just across the border, but for Brits not possible anymore thanks to Brexit

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      I have done some contracting there, very expensive, London like prices for housing, most people decide to live just across the border, but for Brits not possible anymore thanks to Brexit
      Indeed. Post-Brexit, it's a PITA.

Comment

Don't expect British Crown Dependencies to have the same settling rules as the UK. You will be better off on mainland Spain,
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Don't expect British Crown Dependencies to have the same settling rules as the UK. You will be better off on mainland Spain,
          Not easy to do when you're a non EU citizen like Brits

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Not easy to do when you're a non EU citizen like Brits
            I thought it would be easier to retire to Gib than Spain but maybe Paddy's right and it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

I thought it would be easier to retire to Gib than Spain but maybe Paddy's right and it's not.
              If you did retire there as aBrit, would you still be limited to 90 days in the EU? If so, that would leave you with 275 days a year to pootle about on 6.8 km² most of which is uninhabitable and which often has a cloud stuck above it.

Enjoy.
              England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I visited for the day and hated it. Wouldn't go back in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

If you did retire there as aBrit, would you still be limited to 90 days in the EU? If so, that would leave you with 275 days a year to pootle about on 6.8 km² most of which is uninhabitable and which often has a cloud stuck above it.

Enjoy.
                  I think it's 90 days out of 180 (not 90 per year).

Weather doesn't look too bad compared to here.
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2411585

Comment

Fascinating place (from a visitor perspective).
                    A little bit of Britain at the bottom of Spain with views of Africa.
                    I found all the war history there very interesting.
                    Not sure how expensive it is to live there but would be interested to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X