• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXXXII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I think its more the wish rather than resources.

Knowing who the last had sex with someone is pretty important in rape/murder cases. Its not conclusive but its handy I would have thought.

23 and me health & ancestry service £99.

Genetic pre-disposition + DNA results.

They 23&me are making a profit out of it.

If average murder investigation costs £3.2m then £100 commercially is a drop in the ocean.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rch-shows.html

Did you see the documentary series "the Met" they had police officers watching CCTV for days, surely a job for a computer?

They were hunting vehicles by eye.
    Thinking about it I guess if the accused does not contest that they had sex, but that it was consensual then there isn't really a need to do run the rape kit as it would just come back with what has already been established?

Murder is murder, it always gets a lot of resources thrown at it.

Burglar cuts himself on broken glass on the other hand? We already know police don't seem to even turn up, lets alone CSI folks.

The CCTV is the sort of stuff i'm talking about where we seem to have lots of data points but not really the ability to efficiently analyse it all. You're right the magical 'AI' should be able to do that sort of job but we haven't reached that point yet. It probably won't be too much longer before you can just upload all the CCTV and put in some specs, type, colour, reg, and then get a bunch of snippets for officers to manually review.

Even then, you need the officers to still do the leg work of going door to door asking for copies of private security cameras, which is what the vast majority of CCTV in the UK is.

Comment

DID THE SPLITS NEAR A SCREWDRIVER
      It's a common enough risk, I don't know why it'd be in this report?

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Thinking about it I guess if the accused does not contest that they had sex, but that it was consensual then there isn't really a need to do run the rape kit as it would just come back with what has already been established?

Murder is murder, it always gets a lot of resources thrown at it.

Burglar cuts himself on broken glass on the other hand? We already know police don't seem to even turn up, lets alone CSI folks.

The CCTV is the sort of stuff i'm talking about where we seem to have lots of data points but not really the ability to efficiently analyse it all. You're right the magical 'AI' should be able to do that sort of job but we haven't reached that point yet. It probably won't be too much longer before you can just upload all the CCTV and put in some specs, type, colour, reg, and then get a bunch of snippets for officers to manually review.

Even then, you need the officers to still do the leg work of going door to door asking for copies of private security cameras, which is what the vast majority of CCTV in the UK is.
        First whoever admits to having sex may not be the last one. I suspect there are plenty of crimes where the victim has nearly consensual sex (intoxicated but says yes) with one then is raped by another. Get both in and flip the first one.

If in an unsolved murder all we have is DNA then popping it in a bank and checking each year against people sampled is a cheap way to resolve cold cases.

We have such a low prosecution rate anything that helps is good!

Meet opencv!

You can already do ANPR

https://medium.com/@alexey.yeryomenk...i-e1ac8a804c79

People & Zone detection - create timestamped frames with activity in zones and faces.

https://www.oreilly.com/content/rasp...mputer-vision/

Activity detection
        https://pyimagesearch.com/2019/11/25...deep-learning/

The output can be accessed in a few minutes for 24 hours, also properly configured it will be more accurate.

All the complicated stuff has been done. You just need to deploy to reduce staff resources.

I have seen a demo of traffic offence prosecution system currently in service that is automated and just expects verification of detected offences <1% by a human to comply with the law. Its a profit centre!

For collecting CCTV then require all of those having CCTV have to register it (makes a lot of sense for CCTV) and position on house. Then email CCTV operators for time periods. If not forthcoming then use civilians to pick it up. A bit of GIS action and you will have a good picture of what you want.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X