• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart meter fines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart meter fines

Why don't I feel sorry for them?

https://www.sharecast.com/amp/news/n...-15268688.html

Energy suppliers including British Gas and Ovo have been fined nearly £11m for failing to meet smart meter installation targets.

The firms all missed their targets for 2022, meaning a total of 1.03m smart meters were not installed by the required deadlines.
    As a result, British Gas - which is owned by Centrica - has been fined £3.37m by regulator Ofgem, while Ovo has been hit with a £2.39m penalty.

Also fined were Bulb - which was taken over by Octopus after it went into administration in 2021 - E.ON, Scottish Power and SSE.

Scottish Power also agreed to pay a further £440,000 in relation to its 2019 smart metering obligations.

A total of £10.8m will be paid into Ofgem’s Energy Industry Voluntary Redress Fund, which supports vulnerable consumers.

Cathryn Scott, director of enforcement and emerging issues at Ofgem, said: "The installation of smart meters is a vital step in the modernisation of our energy system and the path to net zero by 2050.

"Smart meters give customers better information about their energy usage, helping them budget and control their costs."

The government introduced the four-year Smart Meter Targets Framework in January 2022, which is intended to bolster the rollout of smart meters by setting annual targets.

As of June 2023, around 33m smart meters have been installed, accounting for around 58% of all meters in the UK.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I feel really guilty now because E.ON have been nagging me for years about getting a smart meter and I've completely ignored them.

If they'd offered to pay me some money to help them meet their targets and avoid a fine, I might have been more amenable (I have no idea whether they got fined and CBA to check)

Comment

Interesting that the energy companies are being fined for not installing something that people don't want.

A bit of honesty about why the smart meters are needed and what they will be used for other than simply collecting meter readings would help.

Comment

Perhaps they should be fined if they don't install them in the 100,000 new homes per year that the government are building.

...or maybe in the 40 new hospitals.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          I feel really guilty now because E.ON have been nagging me for years about getting a smart meter and I've completely ignored them.

If they'd offered to pay me some money to help them meet their targets and avoid a fine, I might have been more amenable (I have no idea whether they got fined and CBA to check)
          They got fined.

It is in the story. I can't be bothered to find the amount.

My utility supplier has come to check my electricity meter twice this year. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just my electricity use is variable.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X