• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another tree cut down...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    It was nice looking tree in a nice location.

But there are apparently 3 billion trees in the UK

And 3 Trillion trees in the world

They should auction off the remains and use the money to plant a replacement.
    And then wait 300 years for it to grow into something remarkable....?

You are exhibiting the same philistinism as the idiot that cut it down. I's not the tree, it's the gestalt. Sorry if that's a bit deep...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

And then wait 300 years for it to grow into something remarkable....?

You are exhibiting the same philistinism as the idiot that cut it down. I's not the tree, it's the gestalt. Sorry if that's a bit deep...
      I genuinely don't understand how some people have no appreciation of history and shared culture. I would say its more nihilism rather than philistinism.

Comment

The forestry commission has been vandalising copses of mature trees around here for the last year. Quite a few trees around 300 years old and very beautiful have been felled leaving the area looking like the aftermath of a war zone. I suspect these are going into those "net zero" power stations that run on wood pellets. We really have lost our way.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          The forestry commission has been vandalising copses of mature trees around here for the last year. Quite a few trees around 300 years old and very beautiful have been felled leaving the area looking like the aftermath of a war zone. I suspect these are going into those "net zero" power stations that run on wood pellets. We really have lost our way.
          My council has been caught felling ancient trees under dubious reasoning. Most people think it's being done for financial reasons. In this case 'planning permission' which is inherently corrupt. these are 400+ year old trees, fortunately some of those hippy tulips protested and got a court injunction.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            We've lost a lot round here lately, and I asked the tree surgeons who look after our three big trees about it. All were Ash trees infected with die back. Ones that were in danger of falling, especially on to roads, have been cleared. Many have been heavily pollarded in the expectation they will grow back. He also pointed out that a tree can look big and robust but be nearly dead inside and at much greater risk of falling than a healthy one.

Not all acts of vandalism are what they appear...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

My council has been caught felling ancient trees under dubious reasoning. Most people think it's being done for financial reasons. In this case 'planning permission' which is inherently corrupt. these are 400+ year old trees, fortunately some of those hippy tulips protested and got a court injunction.
              The biggest problem with councils and trees is they fail to look after them. The result being they eventually have to be cut down like in Sheffield.
              For no good reason we don't do tree care in the UK.

I'm always amazed in Switzerland when I go there and see the trees carefully cut back every autumn. It reduces the damage they do to pavements, houses etc. therefore prolonging their life, as they don't get cut down when it's too late.

The only trees that should be left to grow as they like are in rural areas.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

The biggest problem with councils and trees is they fail to look after them. The result being they eventually have to be cut down like in Sheffield.
                For no good reason we don't do tree care in the UK.

I'm always amazed in Switzerland when I go there and see the trees carefully cut back every autumn. It reduces the damage they do to pavements, houses etc. therefore prolonging their life, as they don't get cut down when it's too late.

The only trees that should be left to grow as they like are in rural areas.
                Agreed.

I'm always surprised when I go to other European countries and stare at their trees. They are nearly all well looked after.

There as I grew up in a London borough that had loads of trees they didn't take care of. Then at the end of the 20th century they just went around and chopped loads of them down as they were diseased or dead. Then 15 years later they started replanting them claiming and boasting about being green. What got me ranting the most it was all under the same political party.

I now live in a place where after briefly not taking care of trees due to issues finding tree surgeons, they routinely go around checking all of them, doing some maintenance including felling, replanting new ones and asking people to water them when it hasn't rained for a few weeks in summer. Oh and the council's political administration changes parties regularly.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X