• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXII

This time next week, it'll be a Bank Holiday! But for now, you'll just have to act busy while reading this lot
    • True Crime, True Faith: The Serial Killer and the Texas Mom Who Stopped Him - ”In 1981, Margy Palm was abducted by Stephen Morin outside a Kmart. She’s never told the whole shocking story—until now.” A quite remarkable story.
    • Math Proof Draws New Boundaries Around Black Hole Formation - ”For a half century, mathematicians have tried to define the exact circumstances under which a black hole is destined to exist. A new proof shows how a cube can help answer the question.”
    • The Republic of Cows - ”When habitat loss is one of the biggest issues facing wild animals, why has Alaska given an uninhabited, remote island to feral cattle?” Probably because everybody who's ever tried to take the cows in hand has failed miserably
    • Minimal 64 Home Computer - ”I am releasing the hardware design and layout of the 'Minimal 64 Home Computer'. It's the result of my 3-year hobby project and free for any non-commercial use. Have fun!” HT to Zigenare for this homebrew computer project
    • The Secret Life of the 500+ Cables That Run the Internet - Everything you ever wanted to know about how the Internet gets to where it's going: ”Laced across the cold depths of the world's oceans is a network of multimillion-dollar cables, which have become the vital connections of our online lives.”
    • 60 years of Billy Liar: how the Bradford locations have changed today - ”In the canon of British New Wave films, few are as surreal and playful as John Schlesinger’s Billy Liar (1963). Mixing its urban and suburban northern setting with a fantastical, absurdist bent created one of the most unique and visually striking films of the period… Here are five locations from the film as they stand today.”
    • Quirky Photo Project Celebrates the Comedy and Beauty of Architecture - Some really nice pictures: ”Anna Devis and Daniel Rueda are a pair of imaginative photographers from Spain who create their eye-catching photos without photo editing software. Instead, they spent a lot of time planning for a shot.”
    • Why Do All Records Sound the Same? - ”Desperate to get their music on the radio at all costs, record labels are employing powerful software to artificially sweeten it, polish it, make it louder — squeezing out the last drops of its individuality.” Not like the old days, when Led Zeppelin II had to be remixed because it made needles jump.
    • Brain recordings capture musicality of speech — with help from Pink Floyd - Meanwhile, they've started to pull the music back out of your head:”Neuroscientists recorded electrical activity from areas of the brain (yellow and red dots) as patients listened to the Pink Floyd song, ‘Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1.’ Using artificial intelligence software, they were able to reconstruct the song from the brain recordings. This is the first time a song has been reconstructed from intracranial electroencephalography recordings.”
    • Vintage Bulgarian lottery tickets - ”I have Tobias Frere-Jones to blame for this new obsession… I have to agree they are things of beauty. He told me French and Argentinian ones are good too – it seems these are just the tip of the iceberg!” Rather more ornate than the dot-matrix printed things we get

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    True Crime, True Faith: The Serial Killer and the Texas Mom Who Stopped Him - ”In 1981, Margy Palm was abducted by Stephen Morin outside a Kmart. She’s never told the whole shocking story—until now.” A quite remarkable story.
    I can't read that without an account, if anyone else has the same issue there's a copy saved here: https://archive.li/Dbfkb

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

I can't read that without an account, if anyone else has the same issue there's a copy saved here: https://archive.li/Dbfkb
      It worked for me, a one-time free read. Now I'm going to have to read it rather than come back to it later

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Sorry - it worked fine for me without an account so, as ladymuck suggests, it must be one of those annoying one-a-month things

Comment

Working...
        X