• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sure sounds like censorship to me...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure sounds like censorship to me...

The article...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-66516252

Snippets...

Originally posted by The Article
    A comedy show featuring Father Ted writer Graham Linehan in Edinburgh has been cancelled due to complaints.

Leith Arches said it had pulled the gig because it did not support the comedian, and his views do "not align with our overall values".

The writer has been been an outspoken critic of transgender self-identification.

Mr Linehan urged the venue to reconsider its decision and suggested the cancellation might be unlawful.
    Originally posted by The Article
    Leith Arches said it had been unaware Mr Linehan would be taking part in the show which was organised by a third party.

In a social media post it thanked members of the public for their complaints about his scheduled appearance this Thursday.

It wrote: "We do not support this comedian or his views and he will not be allowed to perform at our venue and is cancelled from Thursday's comedy show with immediate effect."

Mr Linehan responded on X, formerly Twitter, by challenging the venue to explain which of his views it found offensive.

He posted: "It sure sounds like discrimination on the grounds of my legally protected beliefs."
    Sounds like someone connected with the venue is more afraid of cancellation by the LGBTQ+ crowd than free speech...
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Sadly trans activists find it hard to understand that in women only places wandering round with your tackle out because you are wearing lipstick & a dress is not acceptable. If I did it I would quite rightly be locked up.

Lets have respect for everyone if you are transitioning have respect for others who may be offended by such actions and understand that some people with religious issues or a culture based in older values may well have a problem with your behaviour. Its hard to see a 70+ granny dealing with the fact her granddaughter now wants to be a man.

When do the Little Britain lot get cancelled?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

"We do not support this comedian or his views and he will not be allowed to perform at our venue and is cancelled from Thursday's comedy show with immediate effect."

Very dubious legal grounds if they have stated such. "Gender critical" is now protected under "belief" within EA2010 following the Forstarter case a few years ago.
      Last edited by wattaj; 16 August 2023, 09:35. Reason: Clarity.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

He's been cancelled from events and work for years. It's a crying shame. I think i'll watch an episode of the IT Crowd on Netflix tonight so he'll get 0.001p.

I've met quite a few trans-sexuals over the years. They've largely been perfectly decent people. Trans-activists - many of whom aren't even trans-sexuals - on the other hand, seem to be bunch of nasty, vicious, self-righteous thugs.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I've met quite a few trans-sexuals over the years. They've largely been perfectly decent people. Trans-activists - many of whom aren't even trans-sexuals - on the other hand, seem to be bunch of nasty, vicious, self-righteous thugs.
          Same.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            He's been cancelled from events and work for years. It's a crying shame. I think i'll watch an episode of the IT Crowd on Netflix tonight so he'll get 0.001p.

It's the same everywhere. The hypocritical activists demanding equality or parity or some other nebulous rights are the first to stop anyone else trying to exercise theirs.

Damon Knight had it right many years ago - the only law is "By action or inaction, do no harm to any other person". Not quite as succinct as "love they neighbour as thyself", but both are a long way away from the remit of Stonewall and JSO.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              "We do not support this comedian or his views and he will not be allowed to perform at our venue and is cancelled from Thursday's comedy show with immediate effect."

Very dubious legal grounds if they have stated such. "Gender critical" is now protected under "belief" within EA2010 following the Forstarter case a few years ago.
              Forster lost her job because of a single 'GC' tweet.

Linehan on the other hand has spent the last decade of his life throwing hate at trans people. He along with JK are arguably the faces of GC belief.

They aren't comparable and I don't think the EA would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Forster lost her job because of a single 'GC' tweet.

Linehan on the other hand has spent the last decade of his life throwing hate at trans people. He along with JK are arguably the faces of GC belief.

They aren't comparable and I don't think the EA would apply.
                That's rather strong, do you have evidence? Links etc?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

That's rather strong, do you have evidence? Links etc?
                  Actually JKS's post sums up all that's wrong with the whole argument. It's not about hating trans people (other than a few Alf Garnett mouth breathers, I doubt most people give a toss either way) it's about hating both the constant litany of "we are an oppressed minority" - -you aren't, get over it - and the kind of activists that only have a single world view which, naturally, is the only permissible one and if you don't agree then clearly you are a bigoted racist homophobic gammon (delete as applicable). Some, like Lineham, are quite robust in expressing it. It doesn't make then wrong, or right...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm surprised Adele wasn't included in that list as one of the faces of GC belief.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X