• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone have a recommendations for dashcams?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I've got a Nextbase 402G here in a box and just didn't want to put it in. I am absolutely sure it does everything it says it will. Just didn't fancy it over the little cigar ones.

But, wattaj , if you are just wanting a cheap camera to put in I'd happily send it over. It's all there, opened the box to have a look at the product but it's never been installed and I don't think I've ever turned it on. Keep meaning to sell it but never got around to it so yours if you want it.
    That's very kind of you NL. But I should expand a bit n the requirement: the general pattern is for me to be directed to buy some such thing, research and procure said thing, then be told that it is not the correct thing and have to return it.

I can see this coming down the road already.

Such is life.

Best for me to trouble Amazon customer services with the vagaries of my domestic situation.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

That's very kind of you NL. But I should expand a bit n the requirement: the general pattern is for me to be directed to buy some such thing, research and procure said thing, then be told that it is not the correct thing and have to return it.

I can see this coming down the road already.

Such is life.

Best for me to trouble Amazon customer services with the vagaries of my domestic situation.
      Ah Maybe you should hire Lady Bunty Take (Wife of Sir Michael Take, the MP for East Dorset - Look him up on Twitter!), to be your eyes and ears, i'm sure her bounteous and frabjous fecundity will grace the situation appropriately
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

I've got Nextbase on all the family's cars. I've used them for years.

Cheap and they work well.

I hide the camera behind the rear view mirror

The last one I got uses a sticky pad rather than a suction cup to stick it to the windscreen. In the recent heat, the glue softens and the camera falls off. I've tried some other sticky tape but same thing. Thinking of sending it back.

It's beyond me how built in cameras haven't been an option for years.
        Back at the coal face

Comment

I have a Nextbase as well.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
            It's beyond me how built in cameras haven't been an option for years.
            Having them built in or mandated comes with problems. At the moment it's a choice to use or to submit the evidence. There could be a precedence where people are ordered to hand it over and the video can be used against them rather than your benefit. People can choose to put them in and what to do with them. Once they are in every car it that choice will be taken away. Sounds daft but I'm happy to have one in but I wouldn't be pleased if it was mandated.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              I've been told that I need one. I've not needed one for the past 30-odd years, but apparently that doesn't count. I now do what I'm told because ICBA arguing anymore.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'd prefer one that's not as ugly as sin... though I realise that this might be a stretch objective.

Thanks.
              Buy a Tesla.
              Built in dashcams.

Comment

I've got a MiVue 330 with Speed Cam alerts & GPS. A couple of years old now. Not hardwired as I move it from car to car. What makes it for me is the software which is great in playback mode and also lets you see the G-force acting on the car in multiple directions. Recommended.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                X