• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pincher by name and pincher by nature..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pincher by name and pincher by nature..

He needs to go!

https://news.sky.com/story/ex-tory-m...ction-12915801

Chris Pincher MP is facing a suspension from the House of Commons for eight weeks after a report into groping claims against him.

Mr Pincher, who no longer sits as a Conservative, quit as deputy chief whip last summer after being accused of assaulting two guests at the exclusive Carlton Club in London.

The 53-year-old's actions eventually led to the downfall of Boris Johnson, after it emerged the then prime minister was aware of an investigation into Mr Pincher's conduct three years before, yet still appointed him to a role involving MPs' welfare.

The parliamentary watchdog launched its investigation in October, looking at whether Mr Pincher's actions caused "significant damage to the reputation of the House" - a breach of the members' code.

In its conclusions, released this morning, it said his conduct had been "completely inappropriate, profoundly damaging to the individuals concerned, and represented an abuse of power".

And it said his actions would "significantly impact public perception of the House and its members".

As a result, the watchdog recommended an eight-week suspension, triggering a recall petition in Mr Pincher's Tamworth constituency - if 10% of voters sign it, a by-election is called.

He would still be allowed to stand, but has confirmed he already plans to step down at the next election.

MP says sorry again

In a statement after the report was released, Mr Pincher said: "I apologise sincerely again for my behaviour at the Carlton Club last year, as I did the day I resigned from the government.

"I have sought professional medical help, which is ongoing and has been beneficial to me, for which I am grateful.

"I am truly grateful for the kindness that I have received from my constituents, family and friends.

"I only saw the report at 8am this morning so I want to read it carefully and reflect on it properly.

"I do not intend to comment further at this time."

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is already facing three by-elections on 20 July after Mr Johnson, Nigel Adams and David Warburton announced their resignations from parliament last month.

A fourth is also expected for former culture secretary Nadine Dorries' seat, as she has promised to resign over the treatment of Mr Johnson by the Privileges Committee - which found the ex-PM had lied to parliament over partygate.

However, she hasn't officially stepped down yet.

Labour's deputy leader, Angela Rayner, said Mr Pincher should "do the decent thing" and resign as an MP immediately, adding: "The people of Tamworth and the surrounding villages deserve more from their Parliamentary representative."
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

goodbye to bad rubbish
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I hope the link between the name and their real life isn't a growing trend as Amurica will have some problems.

They've got Judge Lawless, Anthony Weiner and Young Boozer (Alabama Treasurer in 2010).
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X