• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partygate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partygate

Hopefully this is the nearly the end.

Report of 118 pages published this morning ( well now)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

He would have got a 90 day suspension if he hadn't resigned.

Comment

118 pages and over a year to prove he lied in some specific instances?

They are all fooking liars doing it all the fooking time - in far more material to taxpayers cases than some party, pathetic state of affairs

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        118 pages and over a year to prove he lied in some specific instances?

They are all fooking liars doing it all the fooking time - in far more material to taxpayers cases than some party, pathetic state of affairs
        There are lies and there are lies.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...#1686816559659

Boris Johnson: Privileges Committee report is a ‘charade’ Boris Johnson labelled the Privileges Committee’s report a “charade” and said its publication represented a “dreadful day for MPs and for democracy”.

The former premier claimed the report was “intended to be the final knife-thrust in a protracted political assassination”.

In a 1,700 word statement, Mr Johnson said: “This report is a charade. I was wrong to believe in the Committee or its good faith. The terrible truth is that it is not I who has twisted the truth to suit my purposes. It is Harriet Harman and her Committee.

“This is a dreadful day for MPs and for democracy. This decision means that no MP is free from vendetta, or expulsion on trumped up charges by a tiny minority who want to see him or her gone from the Commons.”

Comment

You know they are liars by learning that it’s not allowed to call them liars in Parliament, reinforced by the fact that misleading Parliament is not ok, but elsewhere it is fair game them? These liars should be dealt by the Fraud Act - with extra penalties for abusing public trust.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            He would have got a 90 day suspension if he hadn't resigned.
            Which would have still led to a by election.

Given one of the ringleaders of the inquiry and no admirer of Johnson is now accused of an egregious breaking of the same rules, and the early decision of the committee to change its own remit from "proof of deliberate lying" to "proof of lying" (ignoring later corrections and retractions, not to mention the fine(s) paid), this whole thing has been a politically inspired farce since day one.

The by election could be fun though. Will the locals realise the likely impact of the extended ULEZ being brought in by a Labour mayor (it's raised £400m in fines in its original scope...) in a not very wealthy part of London impact the Labour vote? I could easily see this being a close three way contest with the Lib Dems gaining from a double protest vote.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

They have mentioned a few times that Boris' (former) seat was a fairly small majority even after the landslide last GE. 9k I think? I was curious why that was, aren't senior ministers normally in the safest seats?

A lot of comparisons are made between Boris and Donald right now, but maybe we should remember which UK nation's former leader was arrested just a few days apart from Trump
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                They have mentioned a few times that Boris' (former) seat was a fairly small majority even after the landslide last GE. 9k I think? I was curious why that was, aren't senior ministers normally in the safest seats?
                Majority of 7210

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Which would have still led to a by election

​​​​​
                  Given one of the ringleaders of the inquiry and no admirer of Johnson is now accused of an egregious breaking of the same rules, and the early decision of the committee to change its own remit from "proof of deliberate lying" to "proof of lying" (ignoring later corrections and retractions, not to mention the fine(s) paid), this whole thing has been a politically inspired farce since day one.
                  Why was he so scared of a by election?

Outer London has more Tory voters than inner London.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

A lot of comparisons are made between Boris and Donald right now, but maybe we should remember which UK nation's former leader was arrested just a few days apart from Trump
                    It's not a wealthy area in general, as I said before, and has a strong Labour bias as you might expect. Boris, on the other hand, has been there a while and has said, before the current nonsense blew up, that he wants to stay there and was confident of doing so given his local achievements and the strong support of the local party.

However, without him on the ballot, it's anyone's guess what happens next!
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X