• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adhoc contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adhoc contract

I am working as contractor for longtime and went inside ir35 couple of years back. I am using umbrella now for couple of years. I closed my Ltd company last year.
    I have got another adhoc contract to work for few hours (not certain depending upon the issues they have). I am debating if I open a new company again to bill this adhoc contract. I will have to invest in buying new MacBook and iPhone to support this and little more expenses. So opening a company might be useful rather than using my current umbrella for this additional contract. Would be able to also have little more expenses like Christmas party.
    Anybody else in similar situation? I dont have an accountant anymore and not sure if is worth having the hassle of opening a new company because of this adhoc work? Any ideas please. Thanks skg

I definitely wouldn't open a company for a trivial amount of work and a few grand in expenses, not worth the hassle. You could treat it as self-employed income, depending on the circumstances, else push it through your umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by SKG View Post
      I am working as contractor for longtime and went inside ir35 couple of years back. I am using umbrella now for couple of years. I closed my Ltd company last year.
      I have got another adhoc contract to work for few hours (not certain depending upon the issues they have). I am debating if I open a new company again to bill this adhoc contract. I will have to invest in buying new MacBook and iPhone to support this and little more expenses. So opening a company might be useful rather than using my current umbrella for this additional contract. Would be able to also have little more expenses like Christmas party.
      Anybody else in similar situation? I dont have an accountant anymore and not sure if is worth having the hassle of opening a new company because of this adhoc work? Any ideas please. Thanks skg
      You are thinking all wrong. You don't get expenses, you get the ability to claim tax relief on them. All comes out of your pocket at the end of the day, it's just around 20% cheaper that's all.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

it's just around 20% cheaper that's all.
        around 50% cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

around 50% cheaper?
          Dunno, whatever the numbers are, it's still out of his pocket, just at a discount.

Comment

I wouldn't bother either. You could register as self-employed which would then mean you can offset some expenses against your income via SATR.

However, I suspect the client doesn't want to deal with a self-employed person and is asking for a LtdCo?

Comment

You are right, client doesn't want to deal with SATR but with an umbrella or ltd company. What's the best way forward please?
              Thanks

Comment

I'd say go with a brolly. Depending on how ad hoc the work is some umbrellas might not cope with it very well so you'll need to ring around a few (start with Clarity).

I don't think it's worth standing up a LtdCo for it, personally, based on the amount of information you've shared.

Comment

How did you close your company? Are you caught by the 2 year rule so can't open one anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by SKG View Post
                    You are right, client doesn't want to deal with SATR but with an umbrella or ltd company. What's the best way forward please?
                    Thanks
                    Umbrella.

Unless you have at least a few tens of thousands invoiced a year, it's unlikely to be worth the hassle of opening/running a company for ad-hoc work.

Comment

Working...
                    X