• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal obligation to replace electricity meter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the joy of Transco changing the parents' gas meter without telling anyone, a metric meter replacing the old imperial meter, leading suddenly to enormous gas bills.

Only discovered the problem when I compared the meter serial number on the bill with the meter serial number on the fecking meter.

I suspect I will resist the fitting of any meter than enables remote shutoff of supply.

<starts looking for the gun oil>
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

One would think so, but I've been told that I "won't be charged" for my gas usage... indeed, how could they with no record of that usage... we shall see how that turns out once the meter has been fixed. Any attempt to estimate a bill will be met with a curt FRO... again, we shall see how that turns out.
      The back billing rules are here - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information...-billing-rules
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        I remember the joy of Transco changing the parents' gas meter without telling anyone, a metric meter replacing the old imperial meter, leading suddenly to enormous gas bills.

Only discovered the problem when I compared the meter serial number on the bill with the meter serial number on the fecking meter.
        Yeah when I had my gas meter changed due to a leak (about a decade ago) I checked that the serial number matched that on the bill as it is an ongoing issue.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        I suspect I will resist the fitting of any meter than enables remote shutoff of supply.
        I wanted one until I was informed that the initial ones weren't compatible with changing suppliers and I use to change suppliers every 12 months....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Interestingly, these rules are predicated upon there being a new meter reading from which to raise a bill. There won't be in my case as there is no meter reading; it's stuck at the same number as October'ish.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Interestingly, these rules are predicated upon there being a new meter reading from which to raise a bill. There won't be in my case as there is no meter reading; it's stuck at the same number as October'ish.
            So how can they prove what you used? - Hint they can't.

Also there is the problem that due to the increase in energy costs loads of people reduced the amount of gas they used.

Comment

So how can they prove what you used? - Hint they can't.

Also there is the problem that due to the increase in energy costs loads of people reduced the amount of gas they used.
              My thoughts exactly.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
                We've avoided the repeated exhortations and incentives from Eon to "upgrade" our meter to a smart meter but they're now trying a new tack. We've had an email which says:-

Has anyone encountered this?

I will of course be asking them for the relevant statute

They do say that we can still opt for a normal meter, so that will be our ultimate choice although I don't feel in any great hurry.

As an aside I notice they've not upgraded their "incentives" (You can choose between a free Costa Coffee eGift or opt to have a tree planted in your name with our partner, the charity One Tree Planted)
                why though?

Why would you not want accurate bills?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

why though?

We're quite happy with our current low bills thank you very much although this is partly due to us not being there very much (2nd property).

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

You are aware that some of us have eyes that can see and ability to use the internet/a phone?

Comment

You are aware that some of us have eyes that can see and ability to use the internet/a phone?
                      granted there are other methods to get accurate bills, although my experiences with nPower suggest that submitting a meter reading isn'y always going to actually change anything.

But why would you not want a smart meter?
                      I'm genuinely interested. I have my own reasons for not wanting one, but seeing as I've moved house to one that does I have no choice now.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X