• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Police Force For London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Police Force For London?

Met police in last chance saloon.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...lure-to-change

The Metropolitan police service is riddled with deep-seated racism, sexism and homophobia and has failed to change despite numerous official reviews urging it to do so, an official report will say.

The report from Louise Casey, which is due to be published on Tuesday, will excoriate Britain’s biggest police force, the Guardian has been told. Senior government and policing figures are aware of its contents, with one describing it as “horrible” and another as “atrocious”. One source with knowledge of the findings said the report would make clear that the Met was in the “last-chance saloon”.

The force commissioned the report in 2021 after the murder of Sarah Everard by a serving Met officer, Wayne Couzens. The report will consider whether Met failings result at least in part from institutional misogyny, institutional homophobia and institutional racism.

Lady Casey will criticise the force for failing to tackle its problems despite decades of warnings from previous official reports, and she will illustrate her findings with damning new case studies.

In 1999, a report by Sir William Macpherson on the failings that helped the racist killers of Stephen Lawrence escape justice for so long identified institutional racism as a cause of some of the problems. A decade later, the Met said the label no longer applied, but Casey will say significant problems persist, and she will raise the question of what should happen to the Met if it can not reform.

The final draft has been sent to the leadership of the Met and government, leading to crisis talks in the past few days between Sir Mark Rowley, the Met commissioner since September, and the home secretary, Suella Braverman, Whitehall sources say.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I better get some invoices in quick then

Comment

I struggle to see how you'd get a 'new' police force. It's not feasible to sack everyone and start again from scratch. It'll just be another type of Hermes > Evri rebranding.

In such a rebranding exercise, what should London's police force be called?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Capital Cops
        PoliceFarce
        Cosmopolitan Police
        I Can't Believe It's Not The Met
        We Nick Any Crim

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I struggle to see how you'd get a 'new' police force. It's not feasible to sack everyone and start again from scratch. It'll just be another type of Hermes > Evri rebranding
          Royal Ulster Constabulary -> Police Service of Northern Ireland

Sir Kier can tell you all about it!

Greater London Police Service

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Capital Cops
            PoliceFarce
            Cosmopolitan Police
            I Can't Believe It's Not The Met
            We Nick Any Crim
            We Are The Force!

Comment

we need a decent singular "Internal affairs" across all forces.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I struggle to see how you'd get a 'new' police force. It's not feasible to sack everyone and start again from scratch. It'll just be another type of Hermes > Evri rebranding.
                Belgium did it in the wake of the child abuse scandal in 2001. No idea of the logistics, sure it was a nightmare though.

Comment

Bring back the Sweeney!
                  The real one, not that wishy-wash Ray Winstone(I'm the daddy now) reboot!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I felt safer when coppers looked like Dennis Waterman.

Comment

Working...
                    X