• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If this were a company some people would be in trouble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this were a company some people would be in trouble

https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/new...8-19-accounts/

SIGNING off the infamous 2018/19 accounts has been “more extensive” than a bankrupt council originally thought as accountants struggle through inadequate papers.

Chief finance officer Steven Mair said “considerable challenges” remain outstanding in the 2018/19 accounts, which were re-filed in July after auditors refused to sign it off.

Most of the bankrupt Slough Borough Council’s troubles stem from the overdue books. It found it accumulated £760m in borrowing debt and created a £479m blackhole, which ultimately led it to be placed under government supervision.

overdue accounts, unexplained expenses, they will be perfect PPE suppliers or covid loan applicants.

It appears they only get the 10% council tax rise if they deliver the accounts!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Lots of councils both at county and local level are in trouble e.g. Kent, Hampshire, Barnsley, Staines, Thurrock,Working, Croydon.

They aren't or weren't all run by opposition parties when they got themselves into a financial mess.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Lots of councils both at county and local level are in trouble e.g. Kent, Hampshire, Barnsley, Staines, Thurrock,Working, Croydon.

They aren't or weren't all run by opposition parties when they got themselves into a financial mess.
      Most of the councils you mention are Tory, only one is Labour as far as I know. The Tories are clearly the party of economic competence.

Comment

Obvious solution - friendly bombs.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Any council that manages to get into this sort of trouble is failing regardless of politics. Its incompetence not politics.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Obvious solution - friendly bombs.
            you seen Hull or Bradford?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Any council that manages to get into this sort of trouble is failing regardless of politics. Its incompetence not politics.
              One wonders what kind of joint ventures and subsidiaries Slough set up to get into so much debt...

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Most of the councils you mention are Tory, only one is Labour as far as I know. The Tories are clearly the party of economic competence.
                It should be Woking not Working.

Anyway this was the "joke" when Camoron was in power -
                https://www.theguardian.com/politics...dshire-council
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X