• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Literary revisionism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Roald Dhal
    Some kind of curry, I'm guessing.

Anyway, I've got the full collection of the original Roald Dahl books. I'll hang onto them.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FpcT_7PWYAEJKgG?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	4253532

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The same scenes are in Maltida The Musical, that is still in cinemas.

The cake eating scene isn't fat shaming as the kid stands up to the head teacher, who proves she is inconsistent, unfair and ruthless in her approach.
        Bruce,Bruce,Bruce,Bruce,Bruce,Bruce,Bruce

borderline! and not in a sexy Madonna way
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Does Tom Sawyer sell in the same numbers it did when it was first released - hint it doesn't because the world moved on and it seems old fashioned.

The estate of Roald Dahl (for which read Netflix having paid $x00,000,000 for exclusive rights) want to rewrite the books and have ever right to do so.

And Roald Dahl did the same - his editor hated the original version of Matilda so he re-wrote her to not torture her parents.
          As was argued in the article, if these books are no longer appropriate, let them wither rather than being watered down. They are supposed to be nasty, that was the case even when first published, and the attraction of them.
          That said Tom Sawyer is still considered a classic.

The rights holders have the legal right to do what they want, but it's pretty crass to start hacking someone else's work to make it "nicer".

RD was apparently quite an anti-semite, which I wasn't aware of. If he was a slave-trader, his books would be out of print in protest, but antisemitism we just brush under the carpet?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

RD was apparently quite an anti-semite, which I wasn't aware of.
            His descriptions of some of his characters give it away.

If he was a slave-trader, his books would be out of print in protest,
            Not necessarily.

Philip Larkin was a known racist whose works were under recent debate.

but antisemitism we just brush under the carpet?
            They haven't which is why you and I know about them.

Lots of authors/poets illustrate their political views in their works, and/or are quite vocal so write letters/go on broadcasts to air their views.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Apparently even back then Dahl's publishers had to request changes. A strange man, but great books.

In other new, Agatha Christies book, now known as "And then there were none", only had its title changed in 1985, in the UK. In the US, they changed it in 1941.

Comment

... but antisemitism we just brush under the carpet?
                Have you been reading Baddiel's "Jews don't count"?

Comment

I think the Bible should be in line for literary revisionism
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I think the Bible should be in line for literary revisionism
                    If it is revised any more times the Book of Job may actually be interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      In other new, Agatha Christies book, now known as "And then there were none", only had its title changed in 1985, in the UK. In the US, they changed it in 1941.
                      What about Edith Blyton?

She was sexist, racist, xenophobic, nasty to her first husband and more, yet apparently she is the world's most popular children's author.

Comment

Working...
                      X