• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! Interview Clash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a situation May / June last year with multiple interviews going on at the same time.

I told all the agents and all the clients what was going on and informed them that, should they make an offer, I will not make a decision until all interviews were completed.

One agent (a boutique consultancy) was a right arse about it and tried to bully me into deciding and so I told them to stick it. I took another role that was less money but with an agent and client who were far more respectful.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I was in a situation May / June last year with multiple interviews going on at the same time.

I told all the agents and all the clients what was going on and informed them that, should they make an offer, I will not make a decision until all interviews were completed.

One agent (a boutique consultancy) was a right arse about it and tried to bully me into deciding and so I told them to stick it. I took another role that was less money but with an agent and client who were far more respectful.
      Why tell them anything?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Why tell them anything?
        Yeah, I can see that angle too. I just prefer to be up front.

There were only three opportunities, all wanting quick decisions, so I decided to be honest about why they wouldn't get an immediate response.

Comment

Why tell them anything?
          Because the job you really want will not understand the urgency and go slowly. At least in my case a couple of times.

Can't hurt if they know you are in demand.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Because the job you really want will not understand the urgency and go slowly. At least in my case a couple of times.

Can't hurt if they know you are in demand.
            Do you think the client or agent would tell you if there were ten other people under consideration for a role?

Comment

Do you think the client or agent would tell you if there were ten other people under consideration for a role?
              Sometimes yes.
              And depending on the role, I will know who else is in for it and will ask the agent if they are being interviewed before or after me, because it required a specific set of skills that only a few of us have.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A decent agent normally gives you an idea and some pointers. Pity they don't tell you yes the client is fussy and you will see the job advertised for the next 6 months.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes, I have had that information from an agent in the past. I've also been told when I'm the only person being interviewed for a role.

Comment

Working...
                  X