• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors and work politics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors and work politics

I have recently become a contractor and prior to that always kept away from work politics. I find myself in an unusual situation where I have become the centre of work politics at my new place and I am finding it very difficult to handle.

First 6 months I have come and and delivered work beyond anyone's expectations and a lot of promising feedback was coming my way.

1 more month on and a new delivery lead and an individual, vying for the role I currently hold, are colluding to push me to the sidelines. E.g keeping me out loop for conversations which I should be a part of for my work, pushing my tasks to this individual wanting my role, almost not speaking to me! It is stopping me from doing my job and is effectively making me look redundant.

Is this common or have I just been unlucky?

Time to look for another contract ad you aren't needed.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Time to look for another contract ad you aren't needed.
      Well here is the strange things, I have just been given another 6 months to my contract as the head or the department Is keen for me to stay in this team. I believe they are aware of the volatile nature of the team. Would you suggest I just get away from it still?

Comment

Originally posted by Qazim2003 View Post

Well here is the strange things, I have just been given another 6 months to my contract as the head or the department Is keen for me to stay in this team. I believe they are aware of the volatile nature of the team. Would you suggest I just get away from it still?
        I would make it his problem (really it is) while looking around. i.e. I don't need sh!t you sort it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

How does this 6 month extension tie in with your post on the security clearance thread where you say you are moving from one company to start a new contract with another one?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have recently become a contractor and prior to that always kept away from work politics. I find myself in an unusual situation where I have become the centre of work politics at my new place and I am finding it very difficult to handle.

First 6 months I have come and and delivered work beyond anyone's expectations and a lot of promising feedback was coming my way.

1 more month on and a new delivery lead and an individual, vying for the role I currently hold, are colluding to push me to the sidelines. E.g keeping me out loop for conversations which I should be a part of for my work, pushing my tasks to this individual wanting my role, almost not speaking to me! It is stopping me from doing my job and is effectively making me look redundant.

Is this common or have I just been unlucky?
            It happens. Keep your head down, do you work and invoice. You you a left out of crucial conversations need for your work then email your questions; if not answered you have at least covered yourself.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

How does this 6 month extension tie in with your post on the security clearance thread where you say you are moving from one company to start a new contract with another one?
              This is company B where the SC has been deemed as expired. They simply got me to sign a non disclosure agreement and won't renew my SC, IF it is indeed not active anymore. It's been a bizarre experience. I actually had to remind them to make sure they brought the clearance over, otherwise they would have done nothing. Cowboys.

Comment

This is company B where the SC has been deemed as expired. They simply got me to sign a non disclosure agreement and won't renew my SC, IF it is indeed not active anymore. It's been a bizarre experience. I actually had to remind them to make sure they brought the clearance over, otherwise they would have done nothing. Cowboys.
                That's not what you said in the other thread, and it makes my answer rather pointless.

Up to you now. I'm not sure we even understand the question.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have been in a similar situation. I was a lot more capable and experienced than everyone in my team yet the team lead made petty comments on code reviews and minor changes on design decisions just to assert his authority.

Sadly the entire organisation was full of mediocre people and senior managers were more concerned with keeping their jobs than actually doing them.

Assuming the rate is good keep taking the money until your fingers start bleeding then use the other hand.
                  Last edited by TheDude; 15 January 2023, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I just re-read your question here. Note to self - dont reply on phone when just waking up.

The 6 month extension I have been given is with Company B (where I am having the work politics).

Since feeling uneasy - I thought it would prudent to start looking elsewhere in case this go down hill and they decide they wont see out my 6 months. I have seen a lot of roles which require SC clearance and put my name in for a role which I have a strong chance for and since company B is telling me my SC is inactive its put me in a limbo. Given how things have went, I am beginning to question whether company B know what they are doing at all. I hope that makes more sense on how the two threads are related?

Comment

Working...
                    X