• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Waitrose

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Waitrose

"‘Vin in a tin’: Waitrose cans mini wine bottles in carbon-cutting measure

Supermarket’s switch from glass to aluminium cans expected to halve carbon footprint per drink

Waitrose is canning the mini wine bottle in an effort to reduce the carbon footprint of takeaway drinks.

The supermarket plans to switch all of its 187ml glass wine bottles – except those containing champagne, prosecco, cava and rioja because of restrictions imposed by those particular appellations – to aluminium cans by next week. The cans will come in 187ml, 200ml and 250ml sizes.

The move to “vin in a tin” is expected to save more than 300 tonnes of glass packaging and will halve the carbon footprint per drink because the recyclable cans require less energy to transport as they are lighter and take up less space than bottles.

The move comes after the popularisation of “gin in a tin” and other canned cocktails, particularly during the pandemic lockdowns, which prompted outdoor drinking and picnics.

Drinks makers have been seeking alternative packaging because the price of glass has almost tripled since the start of the pandemic amid increased demand for other material besides plastic packaging."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-vin-in-a-tin

Beer needs to be treated in order to be canned, I am not sure about wine. Glass is the best way to store wine. Why not put a deposit on the bottle? I seem to remember putting the empty wine bottles in a machine in France and getting a credit slip.
    Last edited by Paddy; 10 January 2023, 20:53.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      I seem to remember putting the empty wine bottles in a machine in France and getting a credit slip.
      and Germany.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I seem to remember putting the empty wine bottles in a machine in France and getting a credit slip.
        Scheme for Scotland, currently scheduled for launch in August '23

https://depositreturnscheme.zerowastescotland.org.uk

Comment

Beer needs to be treated in order to be canned, I am not sure about wine. Glass is the best way to store wine. Why not put a deposit on the bottle? I seem to remember putting the empty wine bottles in a machine in France and getting a credit slip.
          Never seen a deposit scheme for wine bottles, for milk, soft drink, beer etc bottles and cans yes, it is very common in the civilized world.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Never seen a deposit scheme for wine bottles, for milk, soft drink, beer etc bottles and cans yes, it is very common in the civilized world.
            For win, it's not a deposit as such, you are credited with a small amount for butting the empty wine bottles into the machine.

BTW, my local shop in BG keeps the beers nice and cold. There is a deposit on the bottles but as a matter of trust I am not charged a deposit as long as I bring the bottles back.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              it is very common in the civilized world.
              It's also quite common in NL

Usually a bottle bank outside your local Albert Heijn(stein).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

It's also quite common in NL

Usually a bottle bank outside your local Albert Heijn(stein).

goodness knows why we in the UK don't do it.
                Last edited by vetran; 11 January 2023, 16:48.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

At Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde down Ye Docks in SA1 there were enormous heaps of glass cullet ready for sending whereever they send glass cullet.

It didn't half stink.

I won't mention the flies.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                  X