• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: draught excluders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOM: draught excluders

"Mind the gap: draught excluders are back as Britons rush to cut energy bills

The 1970s staple is once again becoming a hot product, with energy costs rising and temperatures falling

You already have a low-energy air fryer sitting in pride of place in the kitchen, and an electric throw to snuggle under while watching TV. But are you using what is fast becoming the UK’s must-have accessory, a draught excluder?

After a week of shivering in below-zero temperatures that have cruelly exposed any draughty gaps in people’s homes, householders are fighting back and increasingly turning to the long-forgotten furnishing item.

Well known to anyone who was around in the 1970s but largely overlooked since then, the humble draught excluder – often in the shape of an elongated sausage dog – has surprisingly made a comeback and become one of this month’s hottest purchases.

It is just the latest energy-saving product to fly off the shelves as people struggle with soaring bills and the current freezing conditions.

According to the retailer Next, there has been a 143% increase in the number of searches on its website for draught excluders, and in particular for its £28 Don the dachshund. Such has been the clamour that Next has been struggling to keep up with demand, and, along with several other retailers, has been running low on stock."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...t-energy-bills

Who on earth has external doors/windows with gaps at the edge these days? Only thing I do need is summit to block my chimney when I'm not using the fire. Keep meaning to knock summit up and never get round to it. Oh, and seal that attic hatch properly. Manana.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Who on earth has external doors/windows with gaps at the edge these days? Only thing I do need is summit to block my chimney when I'm not using the fire. Keep meaning to knock summit up and never get round to it. Oh, and seal that attic hatch properly. Manana.
      Quite a few people actually.

Though most people I know door gaps are between the heated part of their house and something like a garage.

Oh and people who live in conservation areas who can't put in bog standard double glazing.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

https://www.chimneyballoon.co.uk

Comment

Cheers but already looked at those, problem is when you take them out they must be all sooty. Little wooden door at front of hearth might be better.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Cheers but already looked at those, problem is when you take them out they must be all sooty. Little wooden door at front of hearth might be better.
            Nothing that can't be dealt with by putting a sheet down in front of the hearth and wearing gloves / old clothes?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Nothing that can't be dealt with by putting a sheet down in front of the hearth and wearing gloves / old clothes?
              Stop being sensible!
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just remembered I've still got the sheet with a hole in the middle that was used to cover the grate when the chimney was swept.

Haven't any chimneys to sweep anymore.

Strangelove grandfather must be spinning in his grave, him being a chimney sweep & all.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Get a stove.

Or, you can get a flue with a sort of valve (just a flat plate you can rotate). In colder countries these are pretty standard, often you see a handle above the mantle you have to twist before you can use the fire.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X