• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References from previous contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References from previous contracts

Straight out of uni I went into contracting and had one contract with a government department and a couple with e-commerce companies. I've recently applied for a permanent position, but now they are asking for two references. I wonder how do I provide those. Can I contact the HR departments where I contracted before? I haven't kept it touch with the people I used to work for/with - it doesn't sound right to bother busy people with something like "Remember me, I worked with you 3 years ago? Can you provide a reference for me?"

In future post questions in the right section. General is not the right section for this question.

The references come from the agency if you went through an agency, or HR if you went direct.

The only time you can do differently is if you had an agreement while working there, were your reference would come from.

It is also worth having a person reference from any hobbies, voluntary work, etc you do with other people. Obviously choose someone with a responsible job and preferably on some sort of register.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 26 November 2022, 19:10.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks Sue, I did go through agencies - didn't think about asking them. Will give it a try on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        In future post questions in the right section. General is not the right section for this question.

The references come from the agency if you went through an agency, or HR if you went direct.

The only time you can do differently is if you had an agreement while working there, were your reference would come from.

It is also worth having a person reference from any hobbies, voluntary work, etc you do with other people. Obviously choose someone with a responsible job and preferably on some sort of register.
        Preferably not the wrong sort of register
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Most of your references from agencies and companies will be in the form of: "I can confirm that DaniX worked as [Random Company] from [a date] to [b date]"
          wIth wording that makes it clear that is all they can confirm.
          This is why you want a personal reference who can fill in the gaps.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A quick follow up question - do I contact the person in the agency, who managed my contract, or do they have a separate department that handles references.

Comment

Originally posted by DaniX View Post
              A quick follow up question - do I contact the person in the agency, who managed my contract, or do they have a separate department that handles references.
              Always start off by contacting someone you know.
              If it’s not their job, they will pass you on to the correct person
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Do also understand the request for a reference may just be lead sourcing they want to know who your manager at X was so they can phone them up and say"do you want any contractors?" 5 times a day.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes, I do. But I'm providing references to the HR department of a company that's in a completely different business.

Comment

Working...
                  X