• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: champagne

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: champagne

эFears of Christmas champagne shortage as world’s biggest producer warns stocks are running low

Moët running out of champagne as demands for bottles in the US soars

Champagne stocks risk running out before Christmas, the boss of one of the world’s biggest producers has warned, as Americans take advantage of the strong dollar to snap up bottles of French fizz.

Philippe Schaus, chief executive of Moët Hennessy – whose brands include Veuve Clicquot, Dom Périgno and Moët & Chandon – said his company was "running out of stock" at a press conference in Singapore on Tuesday, raising the spectre of shortages over the festive season.

Mr Schaus said demand was so strong that his company was calling it the “roaring 20s”. American customers have capitalised on the comparative strength of the US dollar to snap up bottles of bubbly.

The comments raise the spectre that families will be forced to raise a toast with alternative sparkling wine over the festive season. Jean-Jacques Guiony, finance chief of LVMH, Moët Hennessy's parent company, has previously warned that stocks may not last until Christmas.»

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tles-us-soars/

What a lie.

Scarcity makes items more expensive so you simply control the market.

Let them drink English sparkling wine - much nicer.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

does bubbly go with a kebab or squirrel fricassee?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        does kebab or squirrel fricassee go with bubbly?
        FTFY - priorities dear chap!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Personally I prefer Majestic's Bouvet Ladubay Saumur Brut (bit of a mouthful! )

Same production method but with a Chenin Blanc grape instead of Chardonnay

Tastes just as good, if not better (IMHO) - and it's cheaper

Comment

Gordon Bennet. Search for doom in General brings up 11 items.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Gordon Bennet. Search for doom in General brings up 11 items.
              its aTw
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

its aTw
                at?
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

does bubbly go with a kebab
                  Yes, I tried it once.

Champagne is overrated anyway. A similarly priced bottle of red will be much nicer.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                  X